Ultimate SSD Brand/Model for MBPro upgrade? (Late 2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Turnpike, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I know the options for this sort of thing are always changing... so what is the current best choice?

I will be upgrading my MBPro (latest, best model, but only 500GB storage) and once I have all my software and files on the new install and organized the way I want, I'm going to clone the hard drive onto a second identical SSD as a backup so I have the ideal pre-project set up on hand in case I have SSD problems or actual laptop failure (both unlikely, I know). All my work project files are backed up on an external drive, so this way I will be avoiding any worse-case scenario.

What is the current absolute best quality and brand SSD available for the MBPro? I was planning to get a 1TB size which is plenty for me, but I read somewhere that the larger the SSD the more chips on it. So if a 2TB would have even the slightest performance increase (other than storage size) I'd be happy to get that instead.

Also, I never did this before on a MAC, is it as plug-and-play (with the basic set up) as it is on a PC? Do I need a specific SSD or to pre-load it with any software?

I'm sure if there ever was a place I might get some input from people who have done this type of thing, and have learned the do's and don'ts, it would be on here, so I'll wait for your input before buying the SSD....thanks in advance!

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Honestly, if you're talking backup then this is a non issue ... any SSD made in the past 3 years will do.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Crucial. Samsung nearly as good but some of their models have had issues so IMHO and experience Crucial is top.

1TB is currently the max size (from any manufacturer AFAIK), and the speed limit is becoming the speed of the interface to the computer, not the SSD itself.

4. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Samsung 850 Pro comes in 2TB.... Is TRIM something that is able to be put on any brand SSD?

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I can't get what you want to do, you can't upgrade the internal SSD without buying one taken from another mac as no one sells them third party (macs use 4 lane PCIe connected SSD's with a proprietry interface). They are available up to 1TB on ebay at outrageous prices.

If you just want an external SSD then you are limited by the SATA 3 connection in the enclosure to around 600MB/sec as the previous poster says any current SSD will max this out.

The only way to beat this is to by a PCIe enclosure and a PCIe connected SSD for the enclosure at around $800 for a PCIe 1TB SSD and $50-100 for the enclosure.

6. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

OH!! I did not know this.... wow. So it's completely different than PC's.... so there is no putting a larger SSD in my MBPro.... then I may upgrade to the 1TB version before I get started. I didn't realize this, at all. VERY glad I asked, and I'm surprised I didn't read/realize this before now. Thanks for the info! :)

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No worries mate, that was why I was confused I really thought that was common knowledge these days.