Ultra HD content on iTunes Store

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mrmarts, Oct 17, 2014.

1. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Hey Guys

With the iMac moving to a 5k resolution, I am still holding off purchasing a new computer given there is no ultra hd content on the iTunes store to take advantage of the new display. When do you think we will start seeing Ultra HD movies and tv shows emerging on the iTunes store?

Another question i would like ask is, should i hold onto my 2013 iMac in the future?, as I have this fear that when the new ultra hd content emerges they will change the file format and introduce newer software which will render the existing SD and HD content obsolete.

That said do you think Apple will ditch a widely adopted file format, or will the existing content still work for many years to come.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter, as I have invested a ton of money, since i upgraded my late 2009 machine for a 2013 iMac, which as you know ditched the physical media drive and got me hooked into purchasing my movies from iTunes.

2. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Might depend on if the iMac supports hardware H265. H265 seems to be the preferred compression scheme for 4K or greater content.

3. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I got a 55" Vizio 4k UHDTV "P" series 7 days ago and am blown away by it.

Your question is timely, as I have the older AppleTV with 160GB HD....but will NOT buy a streaming ATV until it supports 4k UHDTV, and that of course means apple needs to totally re-vamp their online catalog....a huge undertaking

4. betman macrumors regular

Apart from digital media which will be easier in terms of implementing something, especially if Apple decides to "go it alone" in terms of setting a file/compression/etc. standard, where do we stand with physical media? Will the 4K revolution stick to Blu-ray? Is it practical enough, especially when we get into tv shows and stuff that needs multiple discs?

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

IMHO this sits behind new codec (HEVC aka H.265) becoming commonplace and also integrated into BD standard. So basically - all this calls for new hardware.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What 4K content is available for your TV?

7. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

http://www.cnet.com/news/4k-blu-ray-discs-arriving-in-2015-to-fight-streaming-media/

There is some 4K content on Netflix, and all of their future shows will be filmed in 4K.

8. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Very little now, but as my last TV buy was in 2005, 720p 42", this is a 8-10 year usage.
    I should say the picture PQ blows me away, my kids thought we were watching 3D movies it's that great, of course it's 2D.

Kung Fu Panda literally had 3D like depth.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ok cool. We have zero 4K content right now and it's unlikely to come anytime soon unless they get some sort of 4K support into BluRay.

All the big department stores are selling these 4K screens and the only content they have is the built-in demo stuff.

I think it's going to be a much tougher sell than the SD -> HD transition ever was.

10. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

Yep. Streaming isn't even doing 1080p properly yet and most people are done with physical media these days.

11. clank72 macrumors regular

Blu what? For a minute I thought I was viewing an old post. I didn't know it was still around.

12. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Ultra HD content on iTunes Store

When I upgraded to the retina iPad mini, it wasn't so I could play 1080p content at better than native resolution. It was so I could have a pixel free interface. I will be upgrading to the rMac for the same reason.

Are dudes playing that much content on their macs that it's the only or even main reason to buy a 4x screen? And to be clear, I spent several years with an imac as my only TV, so I am not bashing the practice, just 1) surprised it's still favored and 2) surprised interface quality, which plays such a huge role in ios isn't even, mentioned in some of the retina Mac threads.

13. d.steve macrumors regular

Don't think so. I think the largest use case today is for video/photo editing.

14. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Did you read the article? 4K Blu-ray is coming in 2015.

15. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

It might be coming-- but will there be anyone buying?

16. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Why wouldn't there be? Not everyone wants to live in the cloud, and the quality for streaming isn't as good yet.

17. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Given the feedback i might hold onto my iMac in the future and run the older software to keep supporting HD movies I purchased. However I cannot see myself buying a 4k tv set when there is no content to watch on it. I will hold onto my 1080p until Apple starts distributing ultra HD on the iTunes store.