Ultra-Low Voltage Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by deafboy, Oct 20, 2009.

1. deafboy macrumors member

Does anyone have some inside info on the possibilty of an ULV Macbook? I really want this opportunity to buy my 1st mac but at the moment the Asus UL80VT/possible UL30VT looks way more interesting. The 10+ hr battery life is pretty hard to beat. So is Apple not interested in this market or just holding off for awhile?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Well all laptops are using about the same voltage so I assume you mean low wattage or power consumption. And no Apple doesn't think there is a big market for lower performance computers.

3. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

No they don't. The SU7300 is a 10w processor. The P8400 which is in the MBP is a 25w processor.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think Apple's play in the low power / ULV chip world is going to be the MBA for a while longer, and maybe this Tablet if/when it makes it to market (as some sort of device that competes in a loose sense with netbooks but is not really a netbook itself). As far as designs more like that Asus, I've been wrong, and I'm sure it's technically possible, but I don't see them releasing a notebook that weighs almost 5 lbs and using a ULV in it.

With the motion of OS X into efficient use of multiple cores and all the additional technologies that have been added since Panther, and with the amount of processing intensive work that gets done on Macs, it seems to me that the issue is just going to be that Macs can use as much more processing power as they can get, and so Apple will continue to try to use relatively faster processors predominantly.

5. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

thank you for the information, that was exactly what I was looking for.