Ultra sensitive trackpad on Late 2010 MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DeepCobalt, Apr 4, 2011.

1. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

Tried Mroogling this but came up with nothing, so if there is a thread on this, please direct me to it.

Otherwise, here is my issue.

I have a Late 2010 13" MBA 2.13/4GB/256GB. The trackpad is super sensitive to the point of being annoying. Sometimes barely touching the trackpad will result in a click or when scrolling (with two fingers) the dialog box with "Back, Reload Page, Open in Dashboard, etc." pops up. Anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

I'd say, not super sensitive...just not working. Take to Apple for replacement.

3. DeepCobalt thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting... no one else has this problem??? I guess I will take it into Apple...:mad:

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

Why are you mad....you have a defective trackpad. If you were looking for a miracle cure...the lack of posting simply means there isn't one.

5. DeepCobalt thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not mad, just curious... I get that I possibly have a defective trackpad. What I am surprised about is that no one else has the same issue. Sometimes, a problem will be widespread (as in the defective screens a while back). No biggie.

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The problem is that sensitivity of the trackpad is very subjective. What's too sensitive for you might not be sensitive enough for me. Mine seems fine, but that's for me. I'd take it to an Apple store and see what they say. While there I'd try some of the demo models and see if they act the same or different than your machine.

7. DeepCobalt thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE: So trackpad is fine. The issue is that the "Tap to click" option (which was selected) in the control panel is not adjustable for sensitivity. Hopefully, it will have an adjustment in the future. Simply de-selecting that option has made everything fine. My issue was repeatable on every MacBook Air in the store.

8. Jaredtown macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with my 11” MBA a few months after i got it... did a SMC reset and it was fixed and back to normal. Hope this helps!

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

You must have turned it on...it was not a default setting on my new MBA.

10. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I am the same way. I tried using tap to click and 3 finger forward back. But I would inadvertently make those motions with out realizing it till the function took place. The tap to click was a constant error on my part, to much caffeine:D My back and forward rarely got me messed up but I use the 3 finger setting to move the window frame.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I had the reverse - my touchpad was too hard to press. Took it to Apple store and they compared it to floor models and agreed that the touchpad needed to be replaced. Since it was only a week old, they might just replace it. I'm waiting to hear from them now. I bought a 4GB model, so they couldn't replace it from one in the store.

12. JonLa macrumors 6502

Thread resurrection as my 2010 Air (Yosemite, 4gb) is now exhibiting this behaviour. It's hyper sensitive - often thinks I'm double tapping/right clicking or dragging when I'm simply moving the mouse around. A shame...

13. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Mine too, certain I'll have to get it replaced.

14. KWHodges56 macrumors newbie

KWHodges56

Mine is doing the very same thing and it is getting more annoying every day. I have turned off ALL of the selections in control panel for the trackpad and it didn't change a thing. It randomly selects items as I am moving across a page, highlights text, and sometime clicks on links.

HELP!!

15. sbuntin macrumors member

sbuntin

That can often be the battery. Sometimes they swell as they age, putting pressure on the touchpad.

16. infobleep macrumors regular

How does one resolve the problem? I'm experiencing the same thing and it's annoying. My MacBook Air is from 2013.

17. jdelgado macrumors regular

Try repairing permissions. This has worked for me a few times.

18. sarah11918 macrumors member

This issue comes and goes for me on my 2012 MBA. A quick diagnostic test at the Genius Bar didn't show anything wrong, but since I was only visiting from out of town, I really couldn't let them keep my laptop to do more.

The woman did say that the proximity of the trackpad to the battery is a known issue, not just the swelling thing but also even with electrical charges, static, humidity etc. causing interference. Sure enough, mine can especially wonky if I happen to be touching my phone at the same time as I'm trying to use the trackpad. I haven't really discovered a fix, or believe that this is what's happening EVERY time, but when it gets really bad I try to make an effort to reduce static and "ground myself." It's at least one more thing I can try that sometimes improves the situation.