Ultra Slow DL speeds on i5 mac wireless but PC is normal...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMJustAGuy, Feb 19, 2010.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I just got my first Mac last week and I love it to death except for one thing. I can only get D/L speeds of about .7 - 1mbps wirelessly on my Linksys N router but my PC gets the full "advertised speed" (about 5.8) on wireless. This is very annoying and I have no idea what it could be. I don't really know what it does but I did some research and some people in other places recommended clearing the cache and I did. Nothing works, no reboots, no unpluggs, nothing. Do you guys have any idea. I have tried MULTIPLE speed sites and they all report the same thing.

I can barely even watch a youtube video on 360p... sites load so slow... this is a nightmare.

Thanks for your help in advanced.

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

If you try to copy a (large) file wirelessly from your Mac to your PC, is the transfer done at full speed? If not, also try a wired connection to the router to see if this purely a wireless issue, or something else.

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

No I have not, but it's not just the tests that are slow. I purchased Warcraft 3 digitally yesterday and it stated about 6kbps... that is so pathetic.

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Give a wired connection a try, just to make sure it's not something other than the wireless.

5. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

A wired connection works perfectly. Unfortunately, the way my setup is, I have to be wireless. What sucks is I shouldn't *have* to be wired because wireless is working properly.. any ideas?

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same here, and I'm using a 2006 iMac. For some reason downloads always inch along, file transfers over Adium run at 2-3kbps. But the same machine under XP is just fine. I suspect it's something to do with the drivers under OSX or the OS itself. But hey 4 years later and they haven't fixed it.

*subscribed*

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

first make sure the wireless settings on your iMac are set to N. just because a router is N it also means it supports all the old standards.

second make sure you get a good signal. walls can weaken a signal.

third try changing the channel. some channels are faster than others. 11 and one or two others are the fastest. forgot the other ones. but you should try others since you may have neighbors on the same channel and running bittorrent or some other p2p

8. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

How do I set to N Also I am in my living room which is where my modem and router is just at opposite sides.

Signal is perfect.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Oh no - I'm not suggesting you run wired. I just asked for troubleshooting purposes. :)

I also suggest changing channels. Are you getting a good signal?

10. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

If I change channels will I have to re-setup all of my devices such as computer and PS3, etc.?

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

channel change should be automatic

when you go to wireless settings on your router should give you a choice to use only N, or N and the older protocols.

on the iMac it should be in Airport properties or whatever it's called. did it on Tiger once and i use Windows more than OS X

12. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I am having trouble finding it on the mac...?