Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
There I said it. the term "ultrabook" is a weasel term invented by Intel to distract people from "Macbook Air clone". Anyone who can rub 2 brain cells together saw that the first "ultrabook" Asus UX21/UX31 were Macbook Air knock-offs and the same for the Lenonvo/Toshiba clones. I'm shocked Apple hasn't filed suit and petitioned for an injunction. Sure "ultrabooks" aren't selling at all, and perhaps Tim Cook is more pragmatic about it but Steve Jobs would have taken offense and sued out of principle. "Stop stealing our stuff" was Steve's rallying cry.

Last edited:

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
In other news Ford sues Chevy for using 4 wheels. Some things will without doubt resemble others. Just because you are the first doesn’t mean everybody else copies you. Get over yourself.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
In other news Ford sues Chevy for using 4 wheels. Some things will without doubt resemble others. Just because you are the first doesn’t mean everybody else copies you. Get over yourself.

There is a HUGE difference between design & utility. Asus was free to make a design that didn't ape the iconic teardrop shape of the Air but they just copied it.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

So what if ASUS and others have stolen Apple's design? It's not like Apple has created everything without being influenced by other products.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
YouTube: video

So what if ASUS and others have stolen Apple's design? It's not like Apple has created everything without being influenced by other products.

Sorry but that's a weasel response up there with creating the "ultrabook" moniker. Which design patents did Apple infringe on to create the Macbook Air?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm shocked Apple hasn't filed suit and petitioned for an injunction.
Why? Do they own a patent on thin laptops?

The move to thinner laptops is ongoing, and just because they resemble the MBA means nothing. Just look at HP's laptops that resemble the MBPs, apple didn't sue them.

Its not like apple is all clean and innocent, they've copied stuff before themselves.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Sorry but that's a weasel response up there with creating the "ultrabook" moniker. Which design patents did Apple infringe on to create the Macbook Air?
Let's try not to call our moderators names, eh? ;)

Edit: I love the downvote for this resposne lol

Last edited:

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Why? Do they own a patent on thin laptops?

The move to thinner laptops is ongoing, and just because they resemble the MBA means nothing. Just look at HP's laptops that resemble the MBPs, apple didn't sue them.

Its not like apple is all clean and innocent, they've copied stuff before themselves.

What have they copied before? This "pox on all their houses" is a fake canard used against Apple when they are the innocent, infringed-upon party.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
look up konfabulator. When apple created widgets in OSX they completely ripped off konfabulator.

they also stole the GUI style and mouse from xerox, if you want to go back further in history

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I almost forgot how apple completely copied Android's notification system in iOS. That's a more recent one then Konfabulator and of course the Macintosh.

I'm not against apple but seriously, apple is not this innocent and pristine corporation. They are as guilty of copying others as any other organization.

Just as HH included in his post, you have Jobs himself stating the very thing.

Edit:looks like Angelo95210 beat me to the punch

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
There I said it. the term "ultrabook" is a weasel term invented by Intel to distract people from "Macbook Air clone". Anyone who can rub 2 brain cells together saw that the first "ultrabook" Asus UX21/UX31 were Macbook Air knock-offs and the same for the Lenonvo/Toshiba clones. I'm shocked Apple hasn't filed suit and petitioned for an injunction. Sure "ultrabooks" aren't selling at all, and perhaps Tim Cook is more pragmatic about it but Steve Jobs would have taken offense and sued out of principle. "Stop stealing our stuff" was Steve's rallying cry.

*Poor* MacBook Air clones (with no OS X.) Let's be clear. ;)

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I guess Apple decided to continue the suits after his death and risk the company's image and relationships with suppliers out of respect?

Come on man.

In a sense yes, they continue the lawsuits because Jobs instilled that same sense of "we're fighting against the injustice of the world" mentality.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
In a sense yes, they continue the lawsuits because Jobs instilled that same sense of "we're fighting against the injustice of the world" mentality.
...yeah. Or these lawsuits weren't filed by Steve Jobs and rather were filed by a company he worked for and was and still is run by it's stockholders and board.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
This topic is silly.

What would you be saying if a Sony laptop looked like an HP laptop ?
Some of them do...

mother-god-meme.jpg

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

I'm not sure why anyone would buy that from him.

...yeah. Or these lawsuits weren't filed by Steve Jobs and rather were filed by a company he worked for and was and still is run by it's stockholders and board.

They're a bad thing in general, and even Apple has admitted that these products tend to steal sales mostly from other Windows and/or Android oems rather than from Apple.

This screams troll thread. Thankfully these stupid injunctions seem to be going away. Apple isn't the first to attempt an ultra light form factor. Their timing was brilliant though. The first generation of it didn't sell well, but they brought the machine out just when SSDs were starting to infiltrate the market, and Intel was developing new low wattage cpu of a higher spec/quality than the old celeron stuff. Really you can't lay claim to an entire form factor.

The other thing you may be missing is that ultrabooks benefit Apple. If there are more ultrabooks, it may further development and investment in components that will eventually make it into the macbook air. Obviously Apple doesn't develop everything in house, and they will never do their own manufacturing because it's the least profitable link in the chain, and Apple likes to shove any low margin item off the table. I mention this as it's one way that they or any other company could improve the quality control of their machines, at which point the sourced parts would be the weak link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.