Ultrafine 5k VS Korean 40" 4k

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by karpovpw, Apr 25, 2017.

1. karpovpw macrumors newbie

Finally I'm looking to upgrade my Dell U2312 to some higher resolution monitor. I'm not really a fan of multimonitor setup, but the bigger screen real estate I can get - the better.

In the past I've been using 40" 1080p TV on my desk as a monitor and actually it was pretty usable, but of course pixel density was a nightmare.

Based on this experience I think that 40" 4K TV as a monitor (full res, without scaling) seems like a pretty good idea and a lot of people on the Internet agrees with this statement. You get a lot of screen real estate and ok ppi from both worlds.

It seems like I've already made my mind, but I want to hear your personal opinion, guys. Maybe Ultrafine 5K worth the money and I should consider buying it instead?

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

110 vs. 218 pixels per inch - not even comparable.

Using TVs as monitors is generally a terrible idea, but I guess if you consider a 1080p 40" TV "usable", you wouldn't mind 4K.

3. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I almost went with a 40" 4K TV before I got the LG 5K.

Computer monitors have stricter quality controls, which is why they're generally more expensive. With a TV, make sure it's PWM free and 4:4:4

In the end I went with the 5K simply because 40" is too big IMO and the PQ on the 5K is phenomenal.