Ultraflix now available

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by 2010mini, Feb 6, 2016.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Ultraflix now has an app. The app says 'in-app purchases' which is probably the first streaming app with its own store to offer in-app purchases.

Strange its on the ATV 4 when Ultraflix is known for 4K streaming. image.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. cmcclure88 macrumors member

cmcclure88

Strange considering that UltraFlix is for 4K streaming but I guess it's nice to have more options for streaming HD movies on the ATV.

I downloaded the app, but can't seem to login using my existing account. Whenever I hit "submit" it just sits there and does nothing.

3. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

I was able to login. You can rent and buy movies right from the app. So I guess all those people who keep saying Apple is blocking Amazon because it has its own store are incorrect.

4. UhFive macrumors regular

UhFive

Random question, but did you type in your login/password information using the iOS Remote App or a Bluetooth Keyboard?
    I have been having an issue with the text and blacked out password showing up when using these input devices, but the login not working. I use the remote that came with my ATV and it works perfect.

5. cmcclure88 macrumors member

cmcclure88

I did use the iOS Remote App. I'll give the ATV remote a try.

6. UhFive macrumors regular

UhFive

A part of me is hoping you come back to say it was the remote app...I've never found anything online about others having this same issue and thought it is somehow operator error, as my wife doesn't have the same issue.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

In the near future this could be helpful.

What's new in tvOS 9.2 beta 3:

Dictation - There's now support for onscreen text entry via dictation in countries where Siri is available. When updating to tvOS 9.2 beta 3, users will be prompted to enable or disable dictation. With dictation, Apple TV users can dictate text and spell user names and passwords rather than typing them.

8. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

This will be huge. Personally I don't want to have to use a secondary Hardware to input commands/texts. All you should need is the remote. Sit down on your favorite chair, pick up the remote and watch content.

9. UhFive macrumors regular

UhFive

So.....? Did you try it without the iOS remote app?

10. cmcclure88 macrumors member

cmcclure88

Sorry, hadn't gotten a chance to test it out until today. I first tried deleting the info in the input fields and then using the ATV remote to fill them in again but I had no success as it did the same thing. I then deleted the app completely and reinstalled and then used just the ATV remote and was successful. So must be an issue with the iOS Remote app, however I haven't run into any input issues using it with other apps.

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Has anybody started using it on the Apple TV. How does the cost compare to iTunes Buy/Rent? Do they only sell/rent 4K movies? If so, does it make sense to be on the Apple TV? Maybe it will simply downgrade to 1080p when being played on the Apple TV and if you have other options you can get the 4k version and then maybe you are just building a library. I have a Vizio 70" 4K and maybe that app is one of the Vizio Apps. But I really only use the Apple TV 4.

Really just curious. Like others this should show Apple does not care about competition. Or care enough to stop them.

12. Rigby macrumors 601

If they have the same prices as on other platforms, big Hollywood movies will cost $9.99 to rent. Lower tier movies start at (I think) $4 or so. They also have different quality tiers. The lower ones can look worse than the average Netflix movie in 1080p.
    They don't care as long as that competition pays them 30% of the revenue through iTunes billing. I'd be interested to hear how the billing works in the Ultraflix app ...

13. cmcclure88 macrumors member

cmcclure88

I haven't actually rented anything via the Apple TV app yet, but the ATV prices are higher than via the other Ultraflix apps (for example, if it's $4.99 on their Vizio app then it's $6.99 on the ATV) and they are only 48 hour rentals. They plan to offer purchases but I don't think they do yet.

14. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Do they only rent 4K Movies. Which would make those prices pretty reasonable. if so, since ATV 4 does not support 4K would it just down sample or something?

15. cmcclure88 macrumors member

cmcclure88

Yes they are marketed as a 4K streaming service so everything they have is in 4K.

I did a quick A-B test on one of the free Moving Murals videos between the 4K Vizio app and the Apple TV app. Here's a closeup comparison of the on-screen text that shows that whatever is being sent through the Apple TV is barely HD. I tested several free videos and all of them are the same.

Vizio App streaming in 4K:
    image.jpeg

Apple TV App:
    image.jpeg

16. 2010mini, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016

2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

17. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I have not rented a movie because a lot of the movies are OLD. But I did sign up. It appears they had/have a Valentines Special where you can rent in bulk. Like 25 movies for about $2 a piece and 100 for $99. So like $1 a piece. If I rent 1 at a time on my Vizio 4K TV it is $4.99 but if I rent 1 at a time on Apple TV the same move is 6.99.
    I sent an email to find out some information but go no reply.
    Like, if I rent 100 for $99 and decide to watch on the Apple TV how do I do that. Also, if I rent on the Vizio how does it know I rented a bundle. I did not want to test it myself by buying a bundle that I really did not want to use. I also ask if they plan to get any "current" movies. If so, I would be interested in that. But again no reply.
    I like the idea but the movies need to be more current and they need better support.

18. cmcclure88 macrumors member

cmcclure88

They do get some current movies. They had the latest Terminator and Mission Impossible the same day as the DVD/blu-ray release. But those had a higher $9.99 price (same price as UHD rentals on VUDU).

If you have a Vizio then I would just use that app. The UI and navigation is a pain in the ass but you get better quality video.

I personally have only rented one movie via the Vizio app and was severely disappointed. I rented Titanic seeing as it's one of my favorite films and wanted to see how amazing it would look in 4K. I was let down from the second it started. It was presented in its open-matte/3D aspect ratio which wouldn't actually isn't a big deal but it's also not correct. The quality itself was awful. There was almost no detail, any motion would cause things to look like there was heavy DNR applied, so much that facial hair ok actors completely disappeared. It looked like an up scaled DVD. My upscaled blu-ray looked a million times better and I ultimately stopped watching UltraFlix 15 minutes in and switched to that. I chalked it up to a poor transfer sent from the studio, probably intended for cable given the aspect ratio. I submitted a support ticket to UltraFlix and the ended up refunding my money and giving me $10 in rental credit. I haven't tried again since because I haven't had the desire to watch anything that they have just yet. I'm sure I'll try again soon.