ultraportable... not from apple needed?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whyrichard, Jan 15, 2008.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I may need an 'ultraportable' but would only need it for writing. already have a macbook pro for computing needs... i want it to be light and to last a while on a charge...

these are a few that i am considering...
    ... the asus ultraportable is quite inexpensive, and flexible too...
    ... the one laptop per child laptop is quite neat and cute too....
    ... a used ibook with a new battery?

any suggestions? the macbook air is perhaps a bit too expensive....

r.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

eeePC or 1.33GHz 12'' iBook G4..

this is the last gen ibook. (i have one) runs leopard great. it's the only ibook that has 512MB ram built in so you can expand to 1.5GB. also the only ibook that had a USB trackpad so it can do 2 finger scrolling & right clicking in leopard

If you want a super-ultraportable, get the eee. But if you're going to be writing a lot, the screen might be a bit cramped. The iBook G4 will have much more screen space (especially vertical) than the eeePC, plus a full-sized keyboard. eeePC has a tiny keyboard which might be tough for someone who's doing a bunch of typing.

I'm guessing that since you're a college student you probably want this for note taking in class and stuff. This is exactly what I use my iBook G4 for (I'm also a student) and it works great.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i wish i could hook up this new tiny bluetooth apple keyboard to my iphone's notes app, and sync it to my mac....!

r.