Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xpsm1730

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Hello Hacking Gurus -- got a few simple questions.

Currently running:

Iphone 3g, version 2.2(5g77), Firmware 02.28.00, running Cydia and yellowsnow (using t-mobile).

Want to upgrade to 3.0

1. As I understand - i need to upgrade to 3.0 via i-tunes, then install red snow then install ultrasnow. Correct?

2. I do not want to lose any contacts or info on my phone when I upgrade. Will i? What if I need to restore if the update does not work, will I then lose data?

3. I do not have any other stuff installed on my phone. Is there anything I can do to make it more efficient?

4. I am not on the t-mob data plan, is there a way to use EDGE by a hack?

Thank you all.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Currently running:

Iphone 3g, version 2.2(5g77), Firmware 02.28.00, running Cydia and yellowsnow (using t-mobile).

Want to upgrade to 3.0

1. As I understand - i need to upgrade to 3.0 via i-tunes, then install red snow then install ultrasnow. Correct?

Correct!

2. I do not want to lose any contacts or info on my phone when I upgrade. Will i? What if I need to restore if the update does not work, will I then lose data?

It's safer to do a restore, so make sure to sync your data first to avoid losing anything. Why take the risk?

3. I do not have any other stuff installed on my phone. Is there anything I can do to make it more efficient?

See number 2.

No idea.

Thank you all.

Hope that helps. :)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Currently running:

Want to upgrade to 3.0

Thank you all.

1) Yes except you are really not installing redsn0w, just letting it mod you software.

2) Before and after updating to 3.0, do a sync (before moding with redsn0w))

30 Some are having problems with Icy. I would not install it. Cydia is all you need.

4) Can't help on T-mobile stuff

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Agreed. Don't install Icy. I had to do a full restore to 3.0 and start over because Cydia wouldn't let me install anything else after.

marcbkk

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
I am also using a 3G iPhone running firmware 2.22 (5G77) and the 02.28.00 Baseband. The phone is jail broken and unlocked with Yellowsn0w. I also want to upgrade to 3.0, but like xpsm1730 I am also a bit worried about screwing something up or even worse, bricking my phone.

I have a couple more similar questions if you please about things I have already installed on my phone using Cydia and etc.

1 – Does anyone know why this time DevTeam is having us do the firmware upgrade to 3.0 using iTunes when the last time I think I had done the upgrade using QuickPwn?

To be honest, doing any direct Firmware upgrades from Apple worries me about bricking my phone and getting stuck with a baseband which can’t be unlocked because it happened to me before with an earlier firmware upgrade. But it seems everyone is saying it is OK to do the 3.0 upgrade directly with iTunes this time?

2 - Will Winterboard and all its interface tweaks that I installed with it and other things like SB Settings, etc. all need to be reinstalled after I upgrade to 3.0?

3 - I am currently running the older version of Skype which still works with Yellowsn0W and have avoided upgrading to Skype version 1.0.3 as I heard it won’t work on a phone unlocked with Yellowsn0w anymore. In this case, if I upgrade to Firmware 3.0, will I lose the ability to use Skype all together?

4 - I am running Cycorder the video recording app free on Cydia. It has some videos in it that I recorded already and I was wondering if those might be lost when I do the Firmware upgrade to 3.0 since those video are files saved with a Cydia program and not a legal Apple program?

5 - I no longer hear anyone talking about "Installer". Now it just seems to be Cydia and something new I haven't heard of before called Icy?

I guess those are my main questions and if anyone can help answer them I would much appreciate it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, upgrade to 3.0 thru itunes and run redsnow and then install ultrasnow thru cydia.
Nice and simple.
Before you update to 3.0 plug your iphone to itunes, right click on the left side of itunes on your iphone and select backup.
Let it back up your phone and once you're done updating to 3.0 and jailbreaking plug the phone back to itunes.
It will ask you if you want to setup as new phone or restore from backup.
Chose restore from backup and it will put everything you had back into the jailbroken iphone.
About internet on tmobile you'd have to get a data plan if you want to use data while not connected to wifi.
Theres no hack or anything that will make you get free internet from tmobile. If you use internet and dont have a data plan tmobile will charge you by the kb you use and will run up a huge bill. So make sure you have a data plan before going around using data thru edge.
Good luck.

Currently running:

Want to upgrade to 3.0

Thank you all.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
1 yes just follow the instructions and update to 3.0
You wont have any probs.

2 Yes you'll need to reinstall all your jailbroken apps like winterboard etc.. all over again. Some apps are not yet updated to work with 3.0 so not everything you had before on 2.2.1 will work with 3.0
Alot of jailbroken cydia apps have been update to work with 3.0 but not all of them and some have been replaced with other similar programs with different name. You'll have to do your own research and read before you install some stuff that are incompatible with 3.0

3 Im not sure about skype cause I dont use it but Im sure it works over wifi with 3.0
Not sure if theres a hack to use over edge

4 yes cycorder videos will be deleted once you do a restore so find a way to transfer them if you need them on your computer. Cycorder is compatible with 3.0
you'd have to download and reinstall it also.

5 no more installer. They're shutting it down and using cydia and icy. Both programs that install hacked/jailbreak apps to your device.
Personally I dont even bother installing icy, cydia works fine. Why have both, they basicly do the same thing and Im more comfortable with Cydia.

=marcbkk;79412571 – Does anyone know why this time DevTeam is having us do the firmware upgrade to 3.0 using iTunes when the last time I think I had done the upgrade using QuickPwn?

To be honest, doing any direct Firmware upgrades from Apple worries me about bricking my phone and getting stuck with a baseband which can’t be unlocked because it happened to me before with an earlier firmware upgrade. But it seems everyone is saying it is OK to do the 3.0 upgrade directly with iTunes this time?

2 - Will Winterboard and all its interface tweaks that I installed with it and other things like SB Settings, etc. all need to be reinstalled after I upgrade to 3.0?

3 - I am currently running the older version of Skype which still works with Yellowsn0W and have avoided upgrading to Skype version 1.0.3 as I heard it won’t work on a phone unlocked with Yellowsn0w anymore. In this case, if I upgrade to Firmware 3.0, will I lose the ability to use Skype all together?

4 - I am running Cycorder the video recording app free on Cydia. It has some videos in it that I recorded already and I was wondering if those might be lost when I do the Firmware upgrade to 3.0 since those video are files saved with a Cydia program and not a legal Apple program?

5 - I no longer hear anyone talking about "Installer". Now it just seems to be Cydia and something new I haven't heard of before called Icy?

I guess those are my main questions and if anyone can help answer them I would much appreciate it.

marcbkk

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
1 yes just follow the instructions and update to 3.0
You wont have any probs.

2 Yes you'll need to reinstall all your jailbroken apps like winterboard etc.. all over again. Some apps are not yet updated to work with 3.0 so not everything you had before on 2.2.1 will work with 3.0
Alot of jailbroken cydia apps have been update to work with 3.0 but not all of them and some have been replaced with other similar programs with different name. You'll have to do your own research and read before you install some stuff that are incompatible with 3.0

3 Im not sure about skype cause I dont use it but Im sure it works over wifi with 3.0
Not sure if theres a hack to use over edge

4 yes cycorder videos will be deleted once you do a restore so find a way to transfer them if you need them on your computer. Cycorder is compatible with 3.0
you'd have to download and reinstall it also.

5 no more installer. They're shutting it down and using cydia and icy. Both programs that install hacked/jailbreak apps to your device.
Personally I dont even bother installing icy, cydia works fine. Why have both, they basicly do the same thing and Im more comfortable with Cydia.

Cheers for that info.

2 - I guess first step is to make a list of all my winterboard aps so I remember what I have in there.

3 - On Skype, it would be good to know for sure first because I use it alot when I travel with Wifi. Very little with Edge. From what I heard though is that the 1.0.3 version wont even boot with YellowSn0w. I am not sure if that is true though of course since I haven't upgraded. I may have to upgrade though to get it to work with 3.0 and that might stop the program from working if Skype 1.0.3 is hip to Ultrasn0w.

4 - Do you know how I can transfer Cycorder videos to my computer?

Speaking of backup in general, I always wondered what backing up your iPhone in iTunes really does. Does this mean for example if I replaced my phone with a new unit that I could actually restore everything to the new phone instantly via iTunes and not lose any data or programs that way?

Also, if there a way to copy and store that backup file externally in case iTunes or my computer crashes?

thaliagoo

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
Cheers for that info.

2 - I guess first step is to make a list of all my winterboard aps so I remember what I have in there.

3 - On Skype, it would be good to know for sure first because I use it alot when I travel with Wifi. Very little with Edge. From what I heard though is that the 1.0.3 version wont even boot with YellowSn0w. I am not sure if that is true though of course since I haven't upgraded. I may have to upgrade though to get it to work with 3.0 and that might stop the program from working if Skype 1.0.3 is hip to Ultrasn0w.

4 - Do you know how I can transfer Cycorder videos to my computer?

Speaking of backup in general, I always wondered what backing up your iPhone in iTunes really does. Does this mean for example if I replaced my phone with a new unit that I could actually restore everything to the new phone instantly via iTunes and not lose any data or programs that way?

Also, if there a way to copy and store that backup file externally in case iTunes or my computer crashes?

You can get transfer cycorder vids to your computer via SSH. After you access the iPhone via SSH, you can find the videos under “/User/Media/Videos”.

You have to have a Tzones or web2go data plan to use the Edge data with Tmobile. It doesn't require a hack or anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.