Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Version 17 of Ulysses was released today, bringing some much-requested features to the popular Mac and iOS app for writers.

First up, the developers have brought keyword management to the iOS app, following the introduction of the feature on Mac in spring.

ulysses-17-ios.jpeg

You can now edit or delete keywords, customize colors, and merge several keywords into one, whichever device you're working on.

You can also mark your most-used keywords as favorites for easy access within the app, with full keyword sync across Mac and iOS.

Regular Ulysses users will be familiar with the app's ability to export their texts as a formatted PDF or DOCX document. In this latest release, four new export styles are included.

Business is for laying out reports and strategy papers. Academica is for lecture notes. Review is suited for on-paper editing (the style reproduces comments and text deletions and comes with a large margin for hand-written notes).

ulysses-17-export.jpeg

Finally, Manuscript is geared to the U.S. layout standards used for submitting literary works to publishers.

In addition to the above, this version shows image captions in image previews, and for iPad users, there's a completely overhauled fullscreen mode that puts your text front and center.

There are no onscreen toolbars, and sidebars slide into view for quick interactions before sliding out again to keep you focused. With an external keyboard attached, the same Mac shortcut Command-Control-F opens and closes fullscreen mode, and the shortcut bar is hidden.

ulysses-17-ipad.jpg

Elsewhere in this update, there's added support for previewing image captions in the editor and exporting them to PDF and DOCX documents, and a handful of bug fixes have been implemented.

Ulysses can be downloaded for free on the App Store and the Mac App Store, with version 17 rolling out to existing users today.

After a 14-day trial period, a subscription is required to unlock the app on all devices. A monthly subscription costs $4.99, while a yearly subscription is $39.99. Students can use Ulysses at a discounted price of $11.99 per six months. The discount is granted from within the app.

Article Link: Ulysses 17 Gains Keyword Management for iOS, New iPad Fullscreen Mode, and More

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
I want an app like with no markdown. I want a wiki, I guess Ulysses is made for writers who will export their work in different formats.

Reactions: lars666

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Another example where subscription-based app doesn’t make too much sense. Sigh. People don’t mind paying a bit more for quality software (like with Affinity) but they don’t want to be exploited through monthly payments and constant reminder that they lose access to their data if they stop paying.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I wish scrivener would also update to iPad full screen, a year after the models hit the market..

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I wish I had purchased this app while it was a one-time purchase... Now I try to avoid subscriptions.

Why would you wish that? I purchased it, used it, loved it, advocated for it, put all my writing into it to the point where it became my full workflow, all on their explicit promise that they'd never go SaaS, and then they held me hostage for it. A case where it was better to never have loved at all than to have loved and lost.

MrPeripatetic

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
Why would you wish that? I purchased it, used it, loved it, advocated for it, put all my writing into it to the point where it became my full workflow, all on their explicit promise that they'd never go SaaS, and then they held me hostage for it. A case where it was better to never have loved at all than to have loved and lost.
Agreed. Paid for premium price, then they went to subscription. Horrible company.

Moved everything over to iA Writer, Scrivener and Devonthink. Much happier.

Incidentally, a similar thing happened with 1Password. Moved everything over to Enpass and Myki, and couldn’t be happier.

Will not pay subscription prices for these apps. Happy to pay premium for a good app.

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Agreed. Paid for premium price, then they went to subscription. Horrible company.

Moved everything over to iA Writer, Scrivener and Devonthink. Much happier.

Incidentally, a similar thing happened with 1Password. Moved everything over to Enpass and Myki, and couldn’t be happier.

Will not pay subscription prices for these apps. Happy to pay premium for a good app.

IMO, 1Password at least has a foot to stand on since security integrity is more paramount for a password manager. That’s something worth paying into.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
IMO, 1Password at least has a foot to stand on since security integrity is more paramount for a password manager. That’s something worth paying into.

In my efforts to avoid subscriptions, I looked at Bitwarden, and it's impressive on an initial exploration. I haven't taken the full plunge yet, security being what it is, but anecdotally, it's just as good if not better. And free for all I'd need.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I'm one of the many who happily pay for a Ulysses subscription ($29.99 per year) as Ulysses serves my needs splendidly. It was great when I started using it and only continues to get better. They also have terrific support.

Another example where subscription-based app doesn’t make too much sense. Sigh. People don’t mind paying a bit more for quality software (like with Affinity) but they don’t want to be exploited through monthly payments and constant reminder that they lose access to their data if they stop paying.

You do NOT lose access to your data if you decide not to continue to subscribe. From Ulysses' FAQ:

What happens after my subscription or trial ends? Can I still access my texts?
Definitely. Ulysses will revert into a read-only mode, where you can still view, copy and export your sheets to any format.

And of course, any sensible person would also have exported a complete backup before his/her subscription ended.

There is no nagware built in, just the usual reminder from Apple that a subscription is about to end.

Reactions: bwintx

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Sorry, I don’t rent software. I am willing to pay upfront. I’m also will to pay for any newly released features I I feel I need them. Paying for new features keep a company focused on listening to the needs/request of their customer based. Subscriptions not so much.

Reactions: Populus and drumcat

MrPeripatetic

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009

That’s a fair point. But, I think if you looked at Enpass and Myki you might be pleasantly surprised. Seems that Myki might be the most secure, since nothing is stored in the cloud. Thus, you are not relying on a third-party, e.g., the security password company, to keep all of your passwords safe, including from them and their employees, or from a hacker.

Last edited:

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
That’s a fair point. But, I think if you looked at Enpass and Myki you might be pleasantly surprised. Seems that Myku might be the most secure, since nothing is stored in the cloud. Thus, you are not relying on a third-party, e.g., the security password company, to keep all of your passwords safe, including from them and their employees, or from a hacker.

I am aware that 1P promotes its cloud service pretty heavily, but there is also the option (for now) to keep all info offline. Maybe it’s because I’m not a professional writer, but I feel like $50 per year invested in 1P is money far better spent than $50 on Ulysses.

That said, looking up MyKi, I can see where you’re coming from. The developers explicitly make it clear there is no cloud element. However, I don’t know how to feel about completely relying on my phone to maintain my vault.

Still, thank you for bringing it up.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Did they ever fix the numeric list re-numbering when adding an item half way in a numbered list?

For example, if you have a numbered list 1-6 and then add something after 3, it didn't automatically renumber the rest of the list. I had to manually go and do that.

Gave that as a suggestion last year, they said it was a good idea. Never saw it implemented. But that's a big show stopper for me.

I also have a hard time with all these subscriptions. $40 year is $480 over 5 years for a notepad that syncs with your iPhone, Mac, etc... You know, what Apple notes does ... for free. Yeah, I know it has a few more features...
[doublepost=1566242994][/doublepost]

Yep, exactly. I have no problem paying for 1Password. Love it.

MrPeripatetic

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
I am aware that 1P promotes its cloud service pretty heavily, but there is also the option (for now) to keep all info offline. Maybe it’s because I’m not a professional writer, but I feel like $50 per year invested in 1P is money far better spent than $50 on Ulysses.

That said, looking up MyKi, I can see where you’re coming from. The developers explicitly make it clear there is no cloud element. However, I don’t know how to feel about completely relying on my phone to maintain my vault.

Still, thank you for bringing it up.

You can back it up to a computer. The data is stored locally on multiple devices. So, I have it on my iPhone, iPad and on my laptop. Requires NO master password to remember. Hugely more convenient, faster and frankly safer (doesn’t depend on memory).

As for cost comparison to 1Password: I think Myki is free ($9.99 for pro bundle). I think Enpass is free or close to that for iOS.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Stop calling them “subscriptions” when it is a RENTAL.​
[doublepost=1566245141][/doublepost]
I wish I had purchased this app while it was a one-time purchase... Now I try to avoid subscriptions.

No you don’t, because they didn’t update perpetual license versions. They were frozen in time, requiring the perpetuals to pony up to a rental on top of their purchase.

Bad business decision. There is very little that Ulysses does that other apps don’t. In fact, Typora to me is actually better and free.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

No you don’t, because they didn’t update perpetual license versions. They were frozen in time, requiring the perpetuals to pony up to a rental on top of their purchase.

Bad business decision. There is very little that Ulysses does that other apps don’t. In fact, Typora to me is actually better and free.

Ok ok, I didn't know that people with a perpetual version were forced to jump into the subscription model. My mistake, I was too naive thinking they supported the perpetual version owners.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Stop calling them “subscriptions” when it is a RENTAL.​
[doublepost=1566245141][/doublepost]
In fact, Typora to me is actually better and free.

Nah, in fact it isn't, sadly. Well, maybe for you, but not for anyone working on mobile. I'm always on the lookout for a Ulysses replacement, and although this looks quite promising, there is no iOS app. No mobile app of any sort, in fact, and there hasn't been movement on that in a year at least.

Dealbreaker.

I feel like a lot of apps come >< this close to a real replacement for Ulysses and then stop short. No iOS app, no cloud sync, no themes, just as subscription addled as the Soulmen, etc. It's gotta happen someday that someone will do it, and when it does, I'll be first to jump ship. Maybe someday Typora will do it, but it is not this day.

MrPeripatetic

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
Nah, in fact it isn't, sadly. Well, maybe for you, but not for anyone working on mobile. I'm always on the lookout for a Ulysses replacement, and although this looks quite promising, there is no iOS app. No mobile app of any sort, in fact, and there hasn't been movement on that in a year at least.

Dealbreaker.

I feel like a lot of apps come >< this close to a real replacement for Ulysses and then stop short. No iOS app, no cloud sync, no themes, just as subscription addled as the Soulmen, etc. It's gotta happen someday that someone will do it, and when it does, I'll be first to jump ship. Maybe someday Typora will do it, but it is not this day.

iA Writer? Can add Scrivener too.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.