'Ulysses' iOS Writing App Gains Drag and Drop, Image Previews, and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular text editor Ulysses received a substantial update on Thursday, adopting features and UI design concepts that bring the universal app into greater alignment with iOS 11.

Foremost in the changes is support for Drag and Drop in iOS 11, enabling users to rearrange sheets by picking them up and moving them around. It's also now possible to drag images and text passages from other apps to Ulysses' editor, or the other way around.

[​IMG]

In terms of functionality, Ulysses for iPad has aligned more closely with its Mac counterpart: The library now grants access to all texts, regardless of whether they are stored on iCloud, in Dropbox, or locally, which should save users a couple of steps when switching between those sections.

In addition, users can now work with open sidebars, for example to leave attached writing goals, keywords and images open for quick reference.

A new, much-requested feature has also made it into this Ulysses update: Image previews in the text editor window. Up until now, images in a text were only indicated via a small tag -- and adding a visual representation within the text was high up on the customer's wish list, according to the developers.

[​IMG]

Elsewhere, the new version refines Ulysses' filter and search capabilities, improves the accessibility for the visually impaired, and enhances performance.

Ulysses for iOS can be downloaded for free on the App Store, while the macOS version, which was updated over weekend, is available on the Mac App Store. After a 14-day trial period, a subscription is required to unlock the app on all devices. A monthly subscription costs $4.99, while a yearly subscription costs $39.99. Students can use Ulysses at a discounted price of $11.99 per six months. The discount is granted from within the app.

Article Link: 'Ulysses' iOS Writing App Gains Drag and Drop, Image Previews, and More

2. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Writing app that will move away from writing.

3. MacHiavelli macrumors 65816

MacHiavelli

I hear that the number of people who have bought into the subscription model is tiny. Will be interesting to see if Ulysses lasts another year or two. Too big a risk for me. I'm switching.

4. bwintx macrumors 6502

bwintx

5. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

You hear... from where?

6. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

A good sign that not many existing customers signed up is that the 25% discount offer was set to expire 31 Oct. 2017 and they've extended it through 31 Dec. 2017. I really liked the software and didn't mind paying the high price for a one-time license, and would have bought a new one-time license for a major version update had they asked, but I have no desire to throw my money into a fire pit by renting software via a subscription. I went back to iA writer.

7. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

As someone who does "weird" writing, having image previews is huge!

I confess I'm still getting used to having the convenience of Drag and Drop. Old habits die hard, even when they are painful . . . . Though having Notability open to make notes while watching a (technical) video on YouTube and dragging in a screenshot so I'd have a reference as to the particular techniques I was archiving was pretty nifty.

If iA Writer meets your needs, then yes, there's no need for you to buy Ulysses. I need more and I was happy to purchase a Ulysses subscription as soon as it was available.

8. Don't Foul me macrumors member

The inter-webs I'll wager

9. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Yeah, that's not a very precise source.

If you're going to make accusations about the failure of an app, it'd be better if you had a source to show for it.

10. Don't Foul me macrumors member

I read an article from a very nice Russian gentleman that said all data posted on the webs is true. Being a typical 'merican, I believed him.

11. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

The small amount of comments in this thread is very telling. Many of us have moved on from Ulysses. Compare this thread to the amount of post in the thread discussing their pay model change. I don't mind paying for a program. I don't even mind having to pay for new features or updates as long as I have a choice in the matter. Software rental, no thanks. I'm sure renting works for others.

12. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

Perhaps the commenters are too busy trashing the iPhone X, moaning about iOS 11 or extolling the virtues of the Surface Pro?