Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Had my iPhone 5 for 2 years, never really got excited about it. Was looking forward to a bigger screen, got the iPhone 6+, was excited about it, had it for a week, the thing is HUGE, started to have doubts, got over doubts, adapted (see previous neurotic posts), liked it, decided to keep it, more use and finally realized it was indeed too big for me, returned it to get the 6 for one-handed bliss, no 6's available, reactivated my old iPhone 5, looked at iPhone 5 in a new light, decided to keep my old iPhone 5 after realizing it really is the perfect phone for me. May still eventually get the 6 for Apple Pay and Touch ID which my 5 doesnt have but still worried about one-handed use on the 6...glad that I learned I favor portability and one-handed use over all else and, in that respect, the 5 is a pretty nice phone.

Don't get me wrong, the 6 and 6+ are awesome, just learning what works for me :)

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I'm keeping my 5s as many years as I can until it breaks. Hopefully I get 5+ out of it as I love the one-handedness of it.

Of course the battery will wear down over time so I'll simply get a replacement once needed. The internals are really fast now but won't be able to handle iOS 10, 11, etc without lag so I just plan to keep my phone on iOS 7.1.2 as I'm perfectly happy with it the way it is now.

Zebesbrain

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
The iPhone 6 is a one handed beast. And you're getting better hardware with the 6 all round. Not just the Touch ID.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Had my iPhone 5 for 2 years, never really got excited about it. Was looking forward to a bigger screen, got the iPhone 6+, was excited about it, had it for a week, the thing is HUGE, started to have doubts, got over doubts, adapted (see previous neurotic posts), liked it, decided to keep it, more use and finally realized it was indeed too big for me, returned it to get the 6 for one-handed bliss, no 6's available, reactivated my old iPhone 5, looked at iPhone 5 in a new light, decided to keep my old iPhone 5 after realizing it really is the perfect phone for me. May still eventually get the 6 for Apple Pay and Touch ID which my 5 doesnt have but still worried about one-handed use on the 6...glad that I learned I favor portability and one-handed use over all else and, in that respect, the 5 is a pretty nice phone.

Don't get me wrong, the 6 and 6+ are awesome, just learning what works for me :)
Ok, thanks for telling us.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I've been using my 6 plus for a couple of weeks now and saw someone with an iPhone 4 yesterday and held it. I was amazed at how small they could make a phone. The iPhone 7 will have a 3.5" screen and Apple will say they cut the size in half and everyone will be amazed and go buy it!

ccboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012

I agree. I like size and build quality of the 5s more.

arliu

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
I don't know you can go back to the 5. After 5 mins with the 6+ the 5 just feels so tiny

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
I've been using my 6 plus for a couple of weeks now and saw someone with an iPhone 4 yesterday and held it. I was amazed at how small they could make a phone. The iPhone 7 will have a 3.5" screen and Apple will say they cut the size in half and everyone will be amazed and go buy it!

I'm actually hoping that's exactly what happens, only with maybe a 4" to 4.5" screen with the iPhone 7.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
I don't know you can go back to the 5. After 5 mins with the 6+ the 5 just feels so tiny

Yep, it did indeed feel tiny and it took me some time to readjust to the 5, but I'm back. That 6+ screen is phenomenal though.

tvbi

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
You situation is exactly like mine, except I'm going back the 5s. The 6+ was a little too big for me and iOS 8 is still buggy on it. I didn't realize how smooth the 5s on 7.1.2 was until after I used the 6+. It was also hard to use the 6+ while holding a baby :)

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012

Bigger isn't always better for everyone. I personally have zero interest in the 6+ for the same reason I never cared for the Note -- too big. I don't need a half-mini-tablet filling up my pocket all day.

Good thread, OP. I'm actually still using a 4S and currently debating upgrading to a 5S or a 6. I like the build quality and feel of the 5S much more at the moment, but I'm worried I'll feel left behind with certain app features (like Apple Pay) in the near future if I don't just get the 6.

Also, I'm keeping my eye on how people rate iOS 8 on the 5S. Because when i do upgrade, there's a strong chance that 5S will come pre-loaded with iOS 8 and not 7.1.2. If the 5S just can't handle iOS 8, then choosing the 6 will be a necessary move.

ccboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Bigger isn't always better for everyone. I personally have zero interest in the 6+ for the same reason I never cared for the Note -- too big. I don't need a half-mini-tablet filling up my pocket all day.

Good thread, OP. I'm actually still using a 4S and currently debating upgrading to a 5S or a 6. I like the build quality and feel of the 5S much more at the moment, but I'm worried I'll feel left behind with certain app features (like Apple Pay) in the near future if I don't just get the 6.

Also, I'm keeping my eye on how people rate iOS 8 on the 5S. Because when i do upgrade, there's a strong chance that 5S will come pre-loaded with iOS 8 and not 7.1.2. If the 5S just can't handle iOS 8, then choosing the 6 will be a necessary move.

I got my 5s from the Apple store last week and it had iOS 7.x.x, however I did do the manual update to 8.0.2. The biggest issue for me is it broke my bluetooth connection to my car. Other than that, it's still snappy. The processor in both the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 is still x64, but the a8 is clocked a little higher with more transistors.

I've compared both phones side by side, and in terms of responsiveness, the 5s is on par with the 6.

I only made my decision a few days later of playing with the iPhone 6 and then playing with it again at the Apple store.

You should also look at youtube side by side comparisons to help you decide.

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012

I agree. My mothers has an iPhone 5S and when I go over and she wants me to adjust a setting, once I grab that bad boy, looks like I'm holding a playing card. **** is small. Great phone though. Just use to my iPhone 6 plus that I ****ing love.

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
For my usage I found my iPhone 5 too small and my iPad 2 too big.

The iPhone 6+ is perfect.

One device for everything! :D

Mr. PoopyPants

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
For my usage I found my iPhone 5 too small and my iPad 2 too big.

The iPhone 6+ is perfect.

One device for everything! :D

Personally, I couldn't agree with you more.

I actually sold my iPad to offset the cost of the 6+. Now I use it for an e-reader as well as a smart phone.

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I mentioned to a friend the other day that I still think the black/slate iPhone 5 is the best looking phone Apple ever made. I never have been crazy about space Gray.

Im not sure how slate would look with the new iPhone 6/6+ design, but I miss how my iPhone 5 looked.

ThaRagingAsian

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2014
I love my 6+ SG and have adapted to it! I'm about to pack up and sell my iPhone 5 black and it's hard to part ways with such an awesome phone. it fits so good in the hand. But I ready for change. Farewell iPhone 5, you will be missed. :(

ChrisStunner

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
I use the 6+ one handed very easily and I just have medium hands. I'm an Asian 21 year old. I must say I am coming from a galaxy note 2, so I am use to the size.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011

FWIW and in my case, iOS 8.0.2 works without bugs so far on my iPhone 5. I too was pondering an upgrade to the 5S from my 5, but still flirting with getting the 6...also waiting to see if Apple Pay becomes an ubiquitous presence. I'm also thinking that, since Apple Watch will have NFC and Apple Pay ability, I can have an iPhone 5 or 5S and still participate in the Apple Pay fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.