um...how do I make Bonjour work?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheNorthWaves, Feb 12, 2008.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

I can't find it anywhere on my mac (it's not in the sidebar, it's not in apps, etc), and when I install it on my windows laptop, I can't find it anywhere on there either (same deal - I searched). Yet it shows up in my windows program list... I can't find any documentation about it online! This is insane... what am I missing?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Bonjour is a communication protocol for computers to talk to each other.... What are you trying to do with it?

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Bonjour isn't a program, per se. It's a service. It facilitates other things working, like iTunes music sharing, Bonjour chat in iChat (local chat with no central server needed), printer sharing, and such.

4. thesdx macrumors 6502a

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It just works. There is nothing to turn on. What are you wanting to use it for? File Sharing? Then you still have to turn on File Sharing in the Sharing Preferences or the Network Control Pannel.

TEG

6. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

File sharing is turned on already. Ok - so it's invisible... how do I get it to work on vista though? I want to exchange files between computers. I probably spent 20 mins flipping through every possible place where I could configure something - I saw nothing.

7. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Yeah there's no settings for it, it just works.

If you are trying to get an app like Air Video working on your iPad or iPhone and are receiving bonjour errors, try restarting the Air Video Server on your Mac. I know that's why I ended up here, and doing that worked.

8. Paul A macrumors newbie

For me it doesn't "just work." I'm trying to set up my printer. I saw Bonjour once before, and used it to set up a wireless printer profile. But I had to delete that printer profile because it stopped working. Now I can't find it anywhere. Btw, in System Prefs>Sharing, I clicked to share printers.

[MBP running 10.8.5]

9. GTC42 macrumors newbie

Tip for Paul A

Paul ... not sure if it is applicable in your case .. I had the same issue ... Then I remembered I had reset my Apple ID on line recently but had not updated AIRPORT. Once I reset the ID in Airport, I restarted my printer; then my MBP; then System Preferences - Printers and Scanners - Plus sign in lower left corner and MY HP printer was available and updated automatically ... (PS I could not start (OR EVEN FIND) Bonjour any other way)... Hope this helps someone ...

10. averynkh macrumors newbie

i wanna use itunes home sharing
    i can see my itunes playlist from iphone
    but my itunes wont show shared libraries
    i thought Bonjour might be the reason but there is no way to turn on

11. mfram macrumors 6502a

My guess is that the firewall on your Windows box is turned on. That could be blocking the services you want. Maybe try turning off the firewall on your Windows box.