Um, so it's almost 2016 and my Mac Pro has iWorm

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ravich, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

So needing to back up my vintage iPhone 4s so that I could restore my new phone from the backup, I tried and failed to update iTunes. Something about being unable to contact the app store server. So I did a bit of googling and learned of something called iWorm, so I did the simple test and discovered my Mac Pro has the folder/file, dated as created last September (2014).

I believe about a year ago I needed to edit some text on a business card and didnt know anyone with photoshop at the time, so... you can imagine the rest I'm sure. It was wrong of me and I was smote. I swear there was no itching, burning, or discharge all this time so I didnt think to check (seriously though, I'm pretty appalled that I had literally no idea for a solid 365 days).

The strange thing to me is how little information I'm able to find out about this. Mainly in that I dont think I've managed to find any articles written any later than October 2014, and most of them are from before apple introduced prevention measures. All information I found says that there's nothing I can do now and a fresh install is the only solution.

I'd *like* to avoid that if possible, as there's software (legally purchased, I assure you), that's still fussy with newer version of OSX, and I'd like to avoid upgrading my OS until I've verified that all software I use for work will be okay.

Any chance you all could educate me on what to do?

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef