um, what happened to my triangulation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenyboy411, Mar 3, 2008.

1. greenyboy411 macrumors newbie

so, i updated to 1.1.4, and now my triangulation circle has gone from about 2 blocks to 16. what happened?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

are u talking about your triangulation in the same position. different places will yeild different accuracy in triangulation

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Assuming it is the same location: There are periodic changes in the network from time to time, caused by maintenance and other carrier configurations. While not noticeable for voice or data, these things could conceivably effect triangulation.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Is your WiFi still turned on? Without it, you just get a single cell tower location and range.

Oh, wait, you said two to sixteen block range. Perhaps you're hooking to a different tower due to maintenance on their part, or the one closest to you is filled with users most times.

5. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

To 'triangulate', surely you connect to three different towers to get your location?

WiFi is a totally separate method, it locates you by your router's 'known' location.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Google Maps doesn't use triangulation or signal strength. Jobs was on a roll with the WiFi stuff and his tongue got tangled, to be polite about it.

Google Maps uses simple cell id. It reports the location and estimated range (as gathered by users who do have actual GPS in their phones) of the cell that your phone is currently hooked to.

Google introduces tower location

That's why the non-WiFi location can jump huge amounts if you move from one side of an office building to the other... the phone could switch towers.