Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-M-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
I was scanning the various forums listed and figured this might be a good place to ask if a Mac clone system such as the UMAX S900L, plus it's many extra upgrades (both internal and external in like new condition) would be worth anything, to anyone, today?

In other words, is there a niche computer collector group that might interested in such a system and if so anyone here know of where I might inquire if they'd have any interest in such?

I realize I could just post up an ebay auction and wait and see if any interest would come from it, but I figure I'd ask in a forum such as this here first, rather than waste time/$ on ebay.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I wish I'd kept some of the clone machines. Opinions will probably vary greatly, but clones represent a very short and controversial deviation for Apple.

The fact that collectors probably shun clones means that they become rare pieces. At least, that's my opinion.

They'd probably need to be in pristine condition to attract interest from buyers.

-M-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for the reply MacTech68.

It's definitely in pristine condition. It was set up as a freelancer (home) NLE (non-linear editing) system back when in use. So it was only used by an individual (me) and NOT by multiple people in a work environment where they likely wouldn't care for things that weren't paid for out of their own pocket. Such systems were VERY $$,$$$ costly in those days. As newer NLE systems/tech came into the industry this one was stored away as a back-up system, but ended up never being used again. With all the personal $$$$ out of pocket costs I babied the system. Even saved all the original packaging, manuals, installers, etc. During the life of the unit it had seen add-ons of a 3rd party Video Capture board/interface, a F/W (Fast/Wide) SCSI controller (for RAID Array/drive configuration), maxed out RAM, two different CPU upgrades (from the original 604(e?)/150 -to- an MPU (Multi/Duel GPU) -to- finally a G3), which I still have all of those too, photo/slide imaging scanner, etc., etc. before the next gen tech eventually hit the industry.

I even have most, if not all the receipts. Thus, cry (inside) a bit when I see how much was spent. I suspect since I've always had the storage space to keep it all boxed away I just didn't want to let it all go. Correction except for the Video Capture board, which I do recall selling years after it all went into storage. Anyway, I guess because it's been a while since I looked through storage and I saw all this space being taken up from it's various components decided I'd inquire if these units might have a market after all this time and maybe finally let it go.

Would anyone here happen to know of specific info. on how to reach such collectors (groups, website, etc.) that I should post info. about it to?

Thanks much for any insight...

-M-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
@ tyche: Thank you... No I've not been clued into any Mac Clone type groups before your tip here, so it might indeed help. Much appreciated!

Should anyone else here know of other resources I'd welcome your insights as well. Thanks!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I sold a MacTell clone to a collector here - but only for the cost of shipping.

Didn't really want it going to a recycler. Unfortunately, my PowerComputing ones did... :(

(not enough room to keep everything).

The Economy is a bit hard plus only a hard-core Macintosh Collector would go for clones.

Your accessories probably not worth anything.

The UMAX stuff was pretty cool...

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
And that collector would be me! I still have the MacTell!

I have an S900 too, but it doesn't get much use. It's a nice machine and accepts dual CPUs should you have the right cards. Good luck finding it a new home.

I sold a MacTell clone to a collector here - but only for the cost of shipping.

Didn't really want it going to a recycler. Unfortunately, my PowerComputing ones did... :(

(not enough room to keep everything).

The Economy is a bit hard plus only a hard-core Macintosh Collector would go for clones.

Your accessories probably not worth anything.

The UMAX stuff was pretty cool...

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Yeah odd indeed. In the late 90s, I see these clones everywhere, especially Powercomputing, so I was expecting a lot of these things popping in the vintage/junk/secondhand market but they seem to have vanished into thin air.

-applefreak-

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
Belgium
i have

- Umax S900 200MHz 604e processor; 128 MB ram
bought it new in 1996 because in Belgium at that time Apple couldn't deliver the PM 9500/200

- Gravis 200MT

both still working

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.