UMB 2.4 gets 80 Celsius when only watching HD YouTube video. Normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by handydandy, May 17, 2009.

1. handydandy macrumors newbie

All I have open is firefox with one or two tab and the CPU gets into the high 70 Celsius before the fan kicks in. Is it normal for the CPU to get that hot? Or is it even safe?
    It says I am using up to 70% of CPU at times!!!
    Is HD flash that taxing?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its normal. Flash under OSX is a nightmare thanks to the lazy people at Adobe. 80C is OK. When it gets over 90C regularly its time to start worrying.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Navigating to Adobe and updating to the newest Flash Player 10 is a must. Have you upgraded to 10.5.7? If so I know that FPlayer 10 is having some issues until it gets updated.

4. handydandy thread starter macrumors newbie

I updated but haven't tried watchiing videos with the new update 10.5.7
    I love hulu, but watching it makes me nervous.
    I don't even want to know how hot it gets when I play games in bootcamp. Probably 95 Celsius. Any programs to check the CPU temp in windows with no spyware?

So are other 2.4 UMB's getting to almost 80 Celsius watching he flash?

5. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

mine gets 57-59° celsius watching HQ youtube videos, and for youtube HD videos it goes up to 67-70° but it's on a black wooden surface and it's a pretty cold surface

6. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

See this is a problem for me. I'm thinking about buying a UMB in the summer and I watch a ton of youtube videos. This is a big problem....

7. handydandy thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is also on a wooden surface. Wonder why mine is so high. Does it ever go above 70 when watching HD YouTube videos? What internet browser are you using? Also do you have A/C on?

Sorry for so many questions!

8. Burning Radio macrumors regular

This makes me nervous too. there's A LOT of flash used on the web and I use it quite a bit. I'm still getting a macbook, but I just keep hoping it's fixed with either a Flashplayer update or SL.

There's no alternative to using FlashPlayer from Adobe, is there?

9. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

10. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

When playing youtube HD videos It never goes above 70 unless i have it on my bed where it reaches 75 max.

I'm using Firefox with adblock and flashblock so i can control what flash content is playing.. I believe when you say A/C you mean air conditioner, no i don't have that on.

11. handydandy thread starter macrumors newbie

do you mean that 80 Celsius for CPU is not as hot as I think it is. Or that it's not actually 80?
    I'm used to pc laptops which mine haven't gotten as hot especially in watching flash videos.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's quiet normal considering how terrible Flash is under OS X.

Install Windows and check out the CPU usage and performance of Flash there. On the same Mac.