UMB doesn't close properly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tex-Twil, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I just realized that the Unobody MacBook (later 08) does not close properly. It's kind of hard to move the lid (compared to my UMBP) and the magnet is not strong enough to keep it closed.

The Apple Care expired some weeks ago !! So I can't can"t let it fixed by apple for free :(

What shall I do ?

Thanks,
    Tex

2. hamzab macrumors 6502

Got any pics, so we can ascertain the problem more closely.

HamzaB

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

4. Stiss macrumors 6502a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5FpuDV9RMs&feature=related

Mine does that say every 4th time you close it.

Really annoying. And if you look at the back of it the screen has been put on slightly off angle.

I will post some pics sometime over the weekend when I get time to shoot them with a DSLR.

5. hamzab macrumors 6502

Hmmm, the only thing I can come up with is somehow remagnitising the magnets. I believe their situated on the corners of teh screen. I remember magnitising things back in Physics class but I didnt pick Physics as an A level, picked Maths instead lol

There must be a way, I think its just weak magnets.

HamzaB

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Yeah, thats because its not sitting on its bottom. Weak example. The ones at the Apple store do it to, as well as my brothers. Use the omputer like you should and you won't have this issue.

7. hamzab macrumors 6502

Did you not see the YouTube video? The only reason it closes when the MacBook is horizontol is because of the weight of the screen, not the magnests.

The OP was trying to show this by placing the MacBook in a vertical position.

Think before you post.

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Really?
    My brother's MB and the ones at the store are the same, When they are on their backs. But there find when on their bottoms. If its a big deal, why did he post it, he could have gone to the store, its not something we can help him fix unless its software related, or a simple Hard ware fix.

9. hamzab macrumors 6502

Read the 1st post. MacBook is out of warranty. The most obvious reason to post on this forum is to ask for help/information etc.

It's too early in the morning for this dude, please read posts fully.

10. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    thanks for your reactions. Well 1st of all, some of you mentioned that this is normal but I really don't think so. On the video, I show the MB in a 90º position but it actually opens also when it is in a 45-30º position. I have also another UMBP and I can turn it upside down and it stays closed so .. yes the UMB has an issue.

I had a look at the black part behind where the screen part joins the body part and everything seems to be in order.

As for "re magnetizing" it ... well :) I would be scared to erase/broke my hard disk. I think that data and a magnetic field are not really friends.

I also know that I probably won't fix it by posting a video on a forum. I think my question is more what to do. The AppleCare of the MB expired like 2-3 weeks ago .. how annoying. Maybe Apple will be kind to me and fix it even if it is out of warranty.

The problem is annoying but not enough to pay for getting it fixed.

Thanks,
    Tex

11. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Maybe opening and closing it while up on its end warps it ? :rolleyes:

12. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I don't really understand :)