UMB vs UMBP - Need some suggestions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheSandman2236, Mar 16, 2009.

1. TheSandman2236 macrumors 6502

Hey guys - I bought my Aluminum Macbook (2.0Ghz) not too long ago - so far I've been very happy with. Though I feel like at the time I should've spent more and bought the 2.4..or even saved for the entry-level MBP. I have an oppertunity now to sell my MB and use about 700-800 of my own cash to purchase a UMBP (2.4Ghz). Do you think it will well worth the amount of cash I'll be spending to even bother with it?

I do alot of photoshop work - maybe some minor video editing, and definitely some LAN gaming. I'm just trying to figure out if spending all the extra cash is worth it. Or should I just stick with my UMB and max it out?

Thanks alot guys - really appreciate it. :apple:

2. Colin20 macrumors regular

I'd go with the base MBP if you're planning on keeping it for a long time...especially if you have a chance to sell now.

3. bossxii macrumors 68000

I find the best way to look at is is just on the facts of what you have and what you could get by upgrading.

Baseline vs upgrade

2.0 vs 2.4ghz proceccor
    9400m vs 9600 GT 256 MB dedicated GPU
    13" vs 15" imo much better screen, higher resolution
    Better sound quality if not using external speaks, if that matters :)
    Larger HDD

These things listed can make a difference in the speed your able to use Photoshop or process video. While you don't state specifically why your not happy, I'll guess overall performance. The UMBP will perform better in all aspects than the 2.0 UMB.

How long have you had the UMB? I was able to exchange my 36 day old MBA for a UMBP just recently. IF you have a Apple store locally or able to call Apple and explain your not happy with your machine and would like to upgrade, they like people that upgrade :D

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I had the chance to use a Unibody MacBook this weekend and my biggest gripe was the screen. It is awful compared to the MBP. Keep that in mind since you are going to be doing Photoshop work and gaming.

5. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea thanks for putting those features into perspective for me. I've had mine since october 08 so there's no way in hell they'd let me switch :p

I would definitely like to have the better screen, no doubt in mind. Have the UBMBP's had any issues with the 9600 cards? (Like the older 8600's?)

6. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I definitely agree with you on that, the viewing angles on this machine are terrible. Money was alot tighter when I had bought my 2.0Ghz UMB, but things are a bit better, so I feel like I should go out and buy what I should've in the first place.

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

There have been a few people with 9600 GPU issues here on the forums but I think they were in the 17" UMBP's if I'm not mistaken. May type in the search "9600 GT issues" or similar to find those threads.

Mine however works perfect in both modes (9400m and 9600GT). I love this thing, it took me 6 months and 3 other Mac's to finally figure out what I wanted lol, but happy I found it. Good Luck in your search!

8. Cantunis macrumors member

If you don't like gambling , get a 15" MBP where there doesnt seem to be a problem . However , if you like , 17" is for you , with lots of people with DOA 9600M's , because cooling on the 17" sucks .

But as you would be getting base 15" , i dont think you are ever going to spend for the 17" .

So , 15" is the perfect size . Nice portability and 9600M is always here for graphics intensive things , such as OpenGL rendering using shaders , which are calculated entirely on the GPU.

9. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

From a completely biased point of view (a 15" UMBP owner) I would advise that you get into a new 15" machine. I'm completely happy with the 2.4GHz model. I would also advise that you upgrade the memory to 4GB (use after market memory when a good price comes along) also upgrade the hard disk to 500 GBs as needed.

Neil

10. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Keep it! Upgrading will give you a 20% performance boost or so. Keep it til late 2009 / early 2010 - Arrandale is your friend!

11. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you're right - I'll check into it. Weren't they just display issues on the screen? Which 3 other macs did you go through? haha

Thanks Neil --- I think I'll have to wait on upgrading it til later. The 4GB kits are close to $50-60 and I want to get a 500 or 750GB 7200RPM HDD for it. (I was going to max out my UMB that way)

I don't mind gambling a bit - I don't think I'll be picking up a 17". That IMO is a desktop replacement really.

Do you think snow leopard will be that better off for me from the 9400m vs the 9600?

Also, do any of you guys have any gaming experiences with the UMBP?

12. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

Really, only 20%?

13. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

More like mid 2010.

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

if you have the money get the MBP. the bigger screen alone is worth the upgrade.

15. Cantunis macrumors member

17" is fairly BIG , not heavy . Its nice to move around the house , but if you are going to move it around too often you will end leaving it on house because of the hassle . :D

For 9400 / 9600M SL is said to use GPU to improve performance , so , it maybe does a nice difference in there .

And for gaming , not yet ... i use my Xbox 360 for that

16. kp98072 macrumors member

The screen on both are nearly identical if not identical, I have both machines and the specs also sate this. Sure the MPB uni has two graphics cards, but this does not come into play unless you are doing serious photoshop etc and DOES not have any impact on web browsing...

17. zorahk macrumors 6502

The screen is not the same. Try tilting the screen on both past normal viewing angle and watch the bad vertical angles on the MB.

18. kp98072 macrumors member

Obviously both are great machines. I have both. if you want portability do not go for the MBP. Its not heavy at all its bulky! It's really best for occasional travel, it doesn't fit on the plane either. I am very OCD and the quality of the screens are basically identical! The battery life sucks on the pro. The keyboard on the pro is too big and aqward. Power wise they are the same machine. for photos the mbp is better.

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

What does your computer tell you? When you're doing heavy CS work, does activity monitor tell you that you're using all of the MB's resources?

Assuming you've got the stock configuration, you could probably tell more difference performance wise if you stuck 4 gigs of ram and either a 7200 rpm or an ssd drive.

I'm not a fan of the screen of the MB, sorry, but apple has always cheaped out on the screen quality of it's consumer notebooks. Period. I am a fan of it's portability. Besides what I've said above, you could always get a external monitor for your desk. So for my money, based upon my experience with the two machines, I'd keep the MB and max it.

I reserve the right to change my opinion when 10.6 comes out, however. Good luck!

20. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you hit it right on the dot.

I've decided to keep my UMB and Max it out. When I graduate college in Jan 10' I'll be giving my UMB to my fiance (she's using an HP Notebook right now) and I'll be buying myself a new UMBP. Hopefully by then they'll have a new graphics card (possibly) or at least it will come with Snow Leopard.

This UMB should at least get me through the year or so. I'm really trying to condense how many machines I have.:apple:

21. oak macrumors newbie

I agree.

To my eye's they appear to be of the same quality.