UMB Wi-Fi Connection Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by OCSpersonel, Jun 17, 2009.

1. OCSpersonel macrumors regular

SO i have the 2.4, early model Macbook. BOt the 13" MBP.
    And im trying to connect it to my router. its a D-Link dir-635.
    I can see the network but when i try to connect with the right password, it tells me connection failed. it dosnt even work hardwired to the router via ethernet. I have seen problems on this before on other forums but they could connect with the ethernet.

I did have an older white mac connected via ethernet at one point, but have since then disconnected it. and ideas?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Most likely a router problem and not your computer. Have you tried power cycling your modem (unplug everything for 2-5 min)? If you have a cable modem or have VoIP, try removing the battery while power cycling.

3. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

ill try that, but everything else works on it, theres like 4 more computers on it and an iphone that all work

4. dbowlin17 macrumors member

that is quite strange. get back if the power cycle doesn't work. but hope you get it worked out...

5. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

i cannot power cycle because of whats networked to it. but its been on constantly for abouit 2 years and its wad about 4 to 5 computers hooked up to it for that time. for a while there was a white imac hardwired into it and it worked fine

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It is critical that you power cycle your modem. Try creating a new user and then try to connect if it works then we can start to work on the computer, if not we have to look at power cycling the modem/router.

7. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

turns out the WAP is screwed, i guess its gone bad after having it and using it continuously for about 2 years now

8. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

that's a little scary. My modem is plugged in 24/7 and has been this way for 3 years now, and never got a problem...

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Had the same problem, and had to replace my cable modem. Worked good as new after that.