uMBP 13 or 15, I need opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mep42, Aug 5, 2009.

1. mep42 macrumors member

Hi all, here is the situation, I am needing to get a laptop for school, it will need to handle all of my photography needs ie managing over 10,000 photos, photoshop, light-room, and gaming. I have been working with a budget around $1500, and i built a uMBP 13in. 2.26 4gb, 250gb, apple care, and iwork. That option will really not help me with my needs. I have been looking at other options and refurbs. Getting a new one will also get me free ipod which i will sell and that will help with the price. The computer that would work great for me is a 15 inch uMBP 2.53 4gb 320gb hard drive at 7200rpm which will help with moving photos and with everything i stated above extra it comes to $2000 and the tax does not matter its a tax free weekend. So with ipod sold it brings it down to about $1800 or a little more, so I would have to add $300 out of my pocket and then I will have to spend $200 for software. So should I just spend the extra money and get what I can use for a long time or just save the money and get something that will do, but will not be great for everything?

Mark

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

These might help.

I'd say wait, the screen size is a huge difference. Have you looked at upgrading the hard drive/ram yourself?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have to say if you can swing it, get the 15" MBP, you'll be happier you did because of the screen real estate.

To help cut corners on the price, don't upgrade the HD to a faster model just yet. First off apple charges a ton of money for the HD and you can get a fast drive for way less at newegg.com

Also look into using openoffice (or neooffice) instead of getting an office suite. I use them and find them better on the mac then MS Office or iWork. Plus the price is right - $0

I've used Aperture, photoshop and now Lightroom (I've switched over from aperture to LR) and when I had a 13" MacBook, I found PS to be much too constrained by the small screen.

4. mep42 thread starter macrumors member

i am thinking for the money, to get a super powerful PC machine and just get an refurb air.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Exactly right, If you think a 13" uMBP won't be sufficient, an Air will be even less sufficient, or efficient for that matter. One USB port? A Small HDD? Low Battery life? You need high levels of all these things.

If you're on a budget, go for a refurb 15" uMBP, however if you can strap out the cash and wait for a refurb, get the new 15" uMBP and wait to get your $200 back.

Good luck (y)