uMBP 15 2.53 slow booting SnowLeopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dannyzx, Jul 30, 2009.

1. dannyzx macrumors newbie

dannyzx

Hi guys, i just bought a new uMBP 15 2.53 last night and i bought a Seagate 500GB 5400rpm HDD to replace the one on board. I installed the HDD and SnowLeopard install went through great but after install every time i boot up, it takes a long time on spinning gear. It eventually loads up but takes a while, I ran Repair Disk Permission and Verify disk and everything turns out fine. I even ran Apple hardware test on HDD and tests passes. I haven't installed 1.7 EFI Firmware since i've read that it doesn't work so well with third party HDD or doesn't work at all. Any suggestions? :confused:

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Snow Leopard is still just a beta. It's not as stable as Leopard (yet), but it will get better soon.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Ask for support through ADC. I haven't experienced this nor have I seen any similar problems noted on the developer board.

4. celticpride678

If he is a registered developer.

If not, go back to Leopard and wait for Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard is still in Beta and is obviously not as stable and fast as Leopard and should not be used on a every day computer.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

If he/she not a registered developer, then the it is pirated software which we do not give support for here. I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt unless he/she says otherwise.

6. celticpride678

Yeah, me too. Just saying, if not.

7. dannyzx thread starter macrumors newbie

dannyzx

Yes I am registered :) You could say I am a fresh Apple Certified Macintosh Technician fresh out of school :) They gave me access where I work. I installed it on an old MBP 15, 2.16 3GB laptop and it runs great. I love how it works and I was trying to run it on this computer. I know the hard drive is fine, i ran the Apple Service Diagnostics along AHT and honestly i broke my head with this. Needed opinions. I think i may try to re-install and if that doesn't work then ill install leopard in the mean time. After it boots, it works great, its just boot time that is slow.

P.S: Any word on the EFI 1.7 errors??? Checked on GSX and nothing yet.

8. dannyzx thread starter macrumors newbie

dannyzx

Installing Leopard seems to take about 6 hours, at least that's what the estimated time left said on the mbp. I took the chance and installed the 1.7 firmware and it loaded SnowLeopard fine. I still decided to go back to Leopard but installation time is taking forever. Any ideas on whats up?

9. felt. macrumors 6502a

well im here to tell you it is stable and fast and im using it on my every day computer, and i love it :p

10. dannyzx thread starter macrumors newbie

dannyzx

I installed the HDD that came with it and now it runs as normal, I havent installed the EFI 1.7 because of whats in the forums and the computer is slow when installing (includin giving me errors as if the HDD was damaged). I was able to get it to install at one point and it transfers fine between internal and external HDD, but internal HDD is slow as hell.

11. filmweaver macrumors regular

Did you ever start the new MBP with the original drive to confirm it worked as new? I think I would have done that before tweeking out the system. My brand new MP the first time out was working for a week before it took a dump. I now have a brand new one and it has ran great for 9 months now, straight.
    Knock on wood.

12. dannyzx thread starter macrumors newbie

dannyzx

Yeah, I checked with original drive and it ran like normal. Since I'm still in 14 days... I might just go and exchange it, I ran like 3 tests on HDD and its fine. So that only leaves the computer. I had already exchanged before and i had updated to 1.7. But i exchanged HDD after I updated so i really didnt test out HDD on the old one.