uMBP 15" to anti-glare uMBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 7even, Sep 2, 2009.

1. 7even macrumors 6502a

I recently found out that Apple finally added a non-glossy option to the 15" line-up; I've had my late-'08 model for a bit under a year but I'm tempted to sell it and upgrade to a non-glossy model. I've been getting by with the glass screen but my eyes really relax without the extra reflections.. Since I use my laptop pretty much daily, I feel that this would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Additional bonuses, in order of importance:
    - better screen (colors are noticeably brighter on the newer model, even without the glass)
    - battery life (mine gets around 3 hours, so I'm guessing the new one will last at least 4-5)
    - 4GB RAM (which I would buy eventually for mine anyway)
    - extra 10% CPU speed (2.4 vs. 2.66 ghz)
    - more hard drive space

Furthermore, I was going to buy Applecare for my machine before the year is up; with this, I would hold off for another ~year, so that's another $[EDIT: ~$250] saved. Net upgrade cost, assuming a fair selling price for my machine and my developer discount, ~$200-300.

Made sense in my head, I swear :eek: Any thoughts?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you can get good money from your current Mac, do it. Remember that you're not the only one who is selling his current laptop for new one :p

3. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

The buyer guide currently say's that the mbp's are mid product cycle so this is the second best time to buy. If you can sell your current mbp for a good price go for it!

4. caonimadebi macrumors regular

your trade in value is at the most $1299, which is the price from apple refurbished store since you don't have any upgrades. The new MBP is gonna set you back $2049 (assuming you want the same dedicated graphics), so your out of pocket cost will be at least $750. You don't "save" by not having upgraded a feature on your current machine (applecare, HD space, RAM etc) because they add to your trade in value.
    Edit: $750 minus whatever your developer discount will be your net cost.

5. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

None of the "bonuses" you listed warrant an upgrade :rolleyes:
    Yet what matters - is your interface with your Mac - and for me screen is a prime part of it.

6. 7even thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah pretty much. Mainly I just want a reflection-free screen without having to add *another* layer (anti-glare film which would degrade IQ) between me and the actual LCD :) The bonuses are just that.. bonuses (NOT the reasons why I would upgrade).

7. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

I'd say go for it now.

I'm going to do the same, but from '07 MBP I'll take much deeper hit :eek:
    It'll cost me a grand+

So you'll loose hopefully lot less :):cool:

8. 7even thread starter macrumors 6502a

:D Good luck
    I'm making the jump, just need to find a store with the 2.66 ghz anti-glare model in stock.. Anyone know if they carry it? I was at one today and they only had the 2.8 in stock :mad:

EDIT: Turns out the 2.66 ghz anti-glare isn't available in stores, only the 2.8 ghz is. Ordered one online..

9. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Yes, in Palo Alto and San Francisco they also only have 2.8 anti-glare in stock.
    They seem to be even not aware of it being offered on others than high-end MBP.

10. 7even thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess that's Apple's way of encouraging people to pay more.. oh, you want an anti-glare model "now"? Buy the high-end configuration.

11. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I just sold my early '07 17" MBP for $1200. My new MBP was $2550 (educator price), plus another $650 for 3rd party RAM. Love the antiglare screen. I was waiting for that option to order.

12. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

I'd think it's the business and logistics thing - you know cost of sale, etc.

Though with Apple brand & stuff comes first, so I think for less geeky, retail customers they still position matte as a pro feature, with glassy being consumer mainstay for them.

So thanks goes to whoever it is at Apple (certainly no SJ) for this "discrepancy", as anti-glare - clearly a product of OUR pressure :p:D:cool:

13. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Oh, that means my battered (only slightly, but still) 2.4/4Gb/256Mb/500gb/matte/LED '07MBP would go for ~$1000 max ....
    Shoot, and I'm saving for 2.8 or 3.06.

I probably would still be saving until Arrandales arrive :eek:

14. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Though if my crystal ball will start seeing OLED 1680+ screens to go with Arrandales, I probably could hold my itch :rolleyes:

15. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

My MBP was the late-06 (1st C2D) pre-Santa Rosa model, 2.33/3GB/256MB/160GB. The one thing I had going for it was it has AppleCare until May 2010. I was very happy to get $1200, but it was in very good condition (no dents or damage).