uMBP 17" (2009) + Win7 64-bit occasional freezes

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Anuba, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I'm running Win7 64-bit on my MBP 17" and I have one minor and one major problem with it.

The minor problem is the constant dropouts in audio. I'm using the latest Realtek HD driver, and it's damn near impossible to get a constant stream of audio going, especially when playing music in iTunes. I can live with it, though any tips on fixing it would be welcome.

The major problem is that once every two days or so, Win7 freezes up completely. It seems to occur when there's a combination of audio playing and something that requires the 9600M to do a few seconds of heavy work. For example, if I'm playing music or video in the background and I have an IE window open and set the scroll wheel in motion (I have one of those Logitech mice with a weighted metal wheel that will scroll insanely fast) so that the IE graphics have to be redrawn at a high framerate. Suddenly everything will freeze up and the audio gets stuck in a short loop that will go on stuttering until I hold the power button down for a few seconds to force a shutdown. No BSoD, no error messages of any sort, just "frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" and a frozen screen.

Once this has happened, I can't boot into Windows again until I've done a PRAM/NVRAM reset and an SMC reset. If I try to boot anyway it will take longer than normal to reach the login prompt (and I don't get the Windows startup sound). After I enter my password the screen just says "Welcome" and doesn't move on from there. After the two reset operations, Windows will boot normally.

Not sure whether to pin this on NVidia, Realtek, Logitech, Microsoft, Apple or some hidden assailant doing the mad laugh behind the scenes...

2. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yay, I got rid of the audio glitches by testing a rather random thing...

I replaced the driver for the WiFi card by switching from

"Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (Broadcom)"

to

"Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (Microsoft)"

This may not necessarily take care of the freezes, but here's to hoping.

Edit: Scratch that. The audio was flawless for a few minutes but is now deteriorating quickly into something that sounds like a fax modem.

Edit #2: WTH? The audio meltdown was happening inside iTunes. When I switched to another track everything was back to normal again.