uMBP 17'' Reapply Thermal Paste maybe help the heat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dudeitsjay, Jul 8, 2009.

1. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

Anyone reapply their thermal paste to see some improvements in temperatures on load? I really don't mind it too much, until I'm doing cpu intensive stuff on my windows XP bootcamp, where I can't utilize things like coolbook, smc control, etc. and I'm looking at doing this thermal paste reapplication, since I've seen the terrible jobs done on the other macs. Just curious. I don't want to buy a cooling pad or anything just for when I'm on my XP partition...

Any suggestions on to what could be done to help the macbook stay cooler in bootcamp partitions? I've seen Input Remapper to control the fan, and Rightmark CPU Clock Utility to undervolt (man it's confusing), but am really tempted to see some results by swiping the pastes clean and putting in some arctic silver 5...

PS. I really think they should split up the macbook pro sections to 13 15 17 =\

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Say someone is actually brave enough to do it, how much more cooler do you think it's going to get? I know I've seen someone do it to an 8600M GT and it cooled it by 10 C I think. On a CPU I don't know how much it's going to do to it. I say just let the computer cool itself.

3. dudeitsjay thread starter macrumors regular

I've done it to my MBA rev B and I saw much better improvements. But I believe the overall cause of the stuttering is the throttling points. I need to find a way to keep the cpu speed constant. Currently working with the Rightmark CPU utlity.

4. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

On the previous generation Mac Mini, I use to upgrade the CPU to the T7600 from either the T7200 or the T5600. I could get the T7600 to run cooler than the T5600 (1.83Ghz 2MB L2 Cache) because of using Artic Silver 5. I would think that it would help on the new uMBP. Personally, my 2.93 doesn't get hot unless I'm doing something very intense.