** UMBP 2.66ghz with 8gb of RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phildog33, Apr 3, 2009.

1. phildog33 macrumors regular

Im sorry sorry to ask this again.. I just want to get a 'yes' answer before I buy it

the new 2.66ghz Macbook Pros can accept 8gb of Ram in Leopard right now
    and no issues with any performance?

thank you for helping, sorry for asking the question again
    P

2. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

On the 17" 2.66GHz MacBook Pro, yes. On the 15", no.

3. Mastamarek macrumors regular

Mastamarek

the new 15' MBP can accept 8Gb ram and the older 2.53Ghz too.

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Maybe I'm behind the times but I remember the 15" allowing 4GB but addressing up to 6GB, with the recent speed bump did they allow 8GB?

"2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) or 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB" - Apple.com 15" MacBook Pro specs

So it's not official?

5. phildog33 thread starter macrumors regular

thats what i mean...

everyone is still recycling around old information.. do we know 100% positive that the 2.6ghz laptops on the apple store right now.. accept 8gb of ram and work great?

just like the 17" models

p

6. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Well Apple says they don't, maybe we can get a third party on this?

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

So last Thursday, the Apple Online Store showed that the 2.66GHz 15" MBP could be ordered with 8GB of RAM.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._memory_upgrade_kits_for_15_macbook_pros.html

Since then, that option has been removed from the online store.

8. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

9. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Honestly I think there are some serious politics on this one. First i think the new MPB 2.66 and 2.93 can take them and actually utilize 8gbs but i think the 2.4 cannot and Apple screwed up in the beginning on that one and has to stick to the story line. Because the previous models 2.8 and such can't either but just these two new ones can and they would have mud on there face if only 2 units can out of 5 that have been released since November. I think they even went as far as telling there ram vendors to stick to this theory as well. There would be a lot of unhappy campers if Apple actually supported the 2.66 and 2.93 with being able to take 8gb. I have 6gb in my 2.93 and I may just buy the damn 4gb chip anyway and if there is no performance gain over the 6gb I have than just sell it. They certainly work with 6gb and I living proof of that and my old 2.4 2006 model as well had 6gb on it. I can't see how the 17 can and the 15 cannot except for sales and the 17 always was behind in sales to the 15. This was a way for Apple to make more sales on the 17 inch. Not sure how long this post will last before it gets deleted but this is marketing pure and simple. There is no other theory in my mind. Anyway whats the worst that can happen it don't work correctly than rip it out if it does not. But that extra 2gbs of Ram is what I want and need so damn the torpedoes I will get a extra 4gb chip here soon. Unless someone can actually proof to me on paper the performance negative hit it will take than I going forward. Let me add I would love to see someone that has 8gbs and show me the performance gain over 6gb and i will buy you lunch. LOL

10. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I have 8GB in my 15" 2.93 and it works perfectly well. The performance gain is very simply that I can do work without swapping that I could not do with 6.

11. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

So I can safely hit the buy button . :):):)

BTW are you running CS4

12. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Listen, ok? It works. The search bottom on the top nav bar would have been useful in this case, as this is old news. :rolleyes:

13. eddietr macrumors 6502a

No, VMs in my case, Linux and Solaris.

14. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Great than lend me your Credit Card to back that up than. Everyone and there brother says it does not including Apple and OWC so before i dump another 370 on top of the 4 grand i already spent i think I have the right to be sure DON'T YOU. I am a working Pro photographer and my needs are far more than the average user. I sold a MacPro and laptop to get down to one unit that makes me more road worthy. I run HUGE files and shoot 30k in Medium Format digital I answer to clients that pay me well and I NEED a box that can handle my work. So if you don't mind sneering at people that truly need a answer and have a real need. It say's MB P which stands for Pro and I am a Pro that needs a box that has Professional abilities to handle what I throw at it. If a box can't handle enough Ram for those needs than i wasted 4 grand. This is my bank account not yours. I own a forum and I certainly know how to use a search feature which frankly is the same software this forum is run on. http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php

BTW thanks Ed for your comments that does HELP me

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

See below. And I thought all pro photographers bought 17" MBPs. :D

16. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

LOL too darn big. I actually use it for tethered work and when they get to a certain size like a 17 inch there just more prone to fall over with so much going on a set. Many times i will add another monitor on a cart and wheel that around. Here is a workshop video we did. You can see us using a external.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXkUl2sMg6g

17. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Would Applecare be voided by "overloading" RAM? That's quite an investment to take a chance with.....

18. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Great question, don't know the answer. Not sure they would cover what I already did with 2 internals and ripping out the DVD drive. You would think there is a line in the sand somewhere on these kinds of upgrades.

19. eron macrumors 6502

Cool business you run!!

20. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Thanks I really like doing the workshops. It's fun for me and folks get to learn and enjoy photography.

21. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I haven't seen much proofs except for one or two users that claim they have done this. So far, I'd take this as just speculation until more and more people have tried it. I have 8GB in my 17" MacBook Pro and it runs beautifully.

22. Dfndr90 macrumors regular

Dfndr90

Guy,

Forget these chumps, is that a Panerai that you are wearing in the youtube video? I am wearing Rolex now, but Panerai is my next purchase.

Matt...

23. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Nice..

Good to know that it does.. Thanks!! :cool:

24. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Yes I have had it for about 7 years . Love it but very heavy and I wear it everyday. My late father was a watch guy and i promised myself after he passed to get one really nice watch in his honor and being from Italy . I thought a Italian dive watch was the best choice. Get one. :)

25. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I have 8GB of RAM on my MacBook Pro 15" 2.66GHz and it works fine... I hope Apple doesn't disable it on the next firmware update.