UMBP 2.8 refurb vs new 2.66

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by migmac, Apr 18, 2009.

1. migmac macrumors newbie

Hate to add another which vs which mac shopping thread but ...here goes.
    I'm looking to complement our 2 quad core mac pro for HD FCP editing. Basically a system to do some light field editing, then finish up at home base. There may be times (out of state) where some video work needs to be done quickly though without access to the home machine. I was saving up for the 2.8 15" but now reading about the new cpu bumped 15's possibly being able to take 8GB RAM, my interest is peaked. For my needs and with a budget of about 2 and half grand, should I get a refurb 2.8 or new 2.66? How would FCP rendering/Compressor be influenced by a 5% increase in CPU speed vs 33% increase in RAM (8GB vs 6GB). I'll of course pop in a SSD probably this fall.
    Thanks in advance!

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

im prty sure theres a few threads out there already on this, im pretty sure you culd find your answers there

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

the cpu difference is minimal. We're talking maybe 5-8 seconds difference faster on rendering etc. but even that might be useful to you who knows?

it depends which you prize more: cpu speed or ability to take more ram. Personally, i don't think you can go wrong either way. The 2.8 can still take 6GB of ram which isn't too shabby.

4. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I would go with anything that can go 8gb of ram. Depending on your application is it based more on Ram or Cores. Adobe products tend to be Ram hungry, so it really depends on your program. Myself I am more looking at Ram because photoshop is very Ram hungry. If budget is the case i would still go the 2.66 at least you can start with one 4gb chip for a total of 6gb than when money is more available buy the second 4gb chip. May even want to think about a Raid 0 setup by taking the optical bay out. Huge speed boost on reading and writing.

5. migmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true, I've been researching for awhile now and yeah, that 5% of extra cpu speed might shave a few seconds on real time editing and rendering but the extra possible 2GB for the 2.66 definitely adds to the longevity of the MBP. Each of my macs I hold onto for 3-6 years (my 12" PB RIP after a liquids accident lasted me until early this year). Thanks for the advice guys.
    Plan is 2.66 with 4GB and 7200rpm drive (HD threads of immense interest thus far). And then maybe a year down the line, hopefully 4GB sticks and SSD's drop in price to the point I can beef it up. Thanks again!

6. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

With the 2.66 and 2.93 you have that room to grow with Ram as you see the need. The 4gb chip at OWC is 360.00 which is pretty good and that may come down in price. HD will get better and SSD prices will drop so when the time comes you can do that at any time your pocket feels flush. Even as maxed out as I am right now I still can go E class SSD when the prices become more human like. LOL

Good luck. There may even be some refurbs on the 2.66 by now also.

7. migmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I can see it now, 8GB, Raid 0 SSD's, external superdrive, esata storage mmmmmm....you guys make me jealous. I've been hunting the refurb site daily (sometimes hourly!) for a 2.66. I'd love to wait 'til fall but my better half needs a field capable system for some upcoming contract work. Things are slow but we takes what we can gets.

8. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Once Apple sells most of their 2.53s and 2.8s, you will then start to see 2.66s and 2.93s in the refurb store. Its usually happend about 3 months from a release, which woud be around June..........

9. Aniki macrumors regular

If I were you I would get the 2.8 GHz refurbish.