uMBP and HDMI - not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomasp, Jan 27, 2013.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I recently bought a mini displayport to HDMI adapter for my Late 2008 uMBP (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SKJKE2/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00) to connect my MBP to my TV. It worked the first time I used it, but now is not working at all.

When I connect both cables to my laptop, the screen flicks through blue twice (like when you connect an external monitor), but only a single screen is displayed in the displays menubar. The TV shows "No Signal". The computer detects the USB audio device, but as the TV isn't getting any signal no sound comes out.

Before I initiate a long and painful return through Amazon (the second one for this, as the first one got lost in the post), does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this to work? Could it be a problem at my end, rather than with the adapter (given it worked the first time I used it). I've checked that the HDMI cable works on a another non-computer device, and my laptop still recognises external monitors.

Thanks for the help

2. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Pretty cruddy adapter. Try something from Monoprice. I think it might be your adapter.

4. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that adapter doesn't support audio. I have one of the old uMBP's where the mini displayport socket doesn't support audio. Also, shipping costs a fortune from Monoprice, as I'm in the UK.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The adapter supports audio. Your laptop does not. A simple fix would be to use a generic male to male 3.5mm audio cable in addition to the adapter.

6. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately my TV doesn't seem to support that solution. I only have HDMI or antenna in on the TV. There do appear to be a number of adapters out there that combine either digital or analogue audio (from the headphone jack or USB respectively) with video into an HDMI cable. Like I said earlier the adapter worked with audio, albeit once.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You just like to complicate matters don't you? :p

Since your laptop is working fine and you tried the cable on another source then I'd suggest getting a new adapter. Kind of sucks since the one you linked to is so expensive. If you have an Apple Store nearby, I'd check there and make sure your laptop is indeed fine.

8. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

The toslink/digital audio ones are even more expensive

I'm reasonably confident the displayport on the laptop's working fine, as it works when hooked up to a VGA monitor. I can't see why it would work for one and not for another.