uMBP as a "Pro Machine"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iTronz, Sep 6, 2009.

1. iTronz macrumors member

Hey there, I've been a Mac User since late 2007 when I bought my first 2GHz WhiteBook which I've had to sell this year due to some financial issues.

I'm now in the market for either a new Notebook or Desktop, I've currently got a 2.8GHz Dual Core Hackintosh with 2GB of Ram and 1TB storage. I mainly use my machine to run Logic 9 with various plugins which are quite CPU hungry. I also have VMware running a Windows 7 VM which I use for some lightweight Windows Apps, along with that I run Safari which usually has around 15 - 25 Tabs. Other constant background apps include, Eventbox, Things, iTunes, Adium and iChat ect.

The main uMBP I've been looking at is the 17" 2.8GHz model with 4GB of Ram, 500GB 7200RPM drive. But for the extra price I've been looking at the Mac Pro as portability is not totally essential and I suppose I could hold out and wait to get a cheaper notebook later next year for less power hungry activities.

So can anyone tell me how the 17" uMBP runs their pro apps like Logic Pro, Final Cut ect. Most of all how much performance increase would I get over my Hackintosh as the CPU speed is the same, so would the next logical step be to just get a Mac Pro?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well iThink that the 17" (my current computer is your specs) could easily handle most of the pro apps and my older computers handled them, a desktop is the real true pro machine. Why not upgrading your ram on the hackintosh?

3. iTronz thread starter macrumors member

I'm seriously debating just upgrading my Hackintosh, to a Quad Core CPU and 8GB of memory along with a SSD just for kicks. This would cost around a 1/4 of a new Quad Core Mac Pro, although a Motherboard upgrade would be needed for Snow Leopard. This would then leave me money for a Low Spec or Mid Spec 15" uMBP. Do the 9600 chips in the uMBP's handle open CL?

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yes, 9600M GT is supported by Open CL

5. iTronz thread starter macrumors member

That's great, any news on quad core MB's yet?

6. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Earliest is next year. I think upgrading your hackintosh to 4 gigs of RAM would really speed it up.