UMBP at full speed w/o battery using coolbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by user1234, Mar 16, 2009.

1. user1234 macrumors regular

Hi!

I'm considering a MacBook Pro as my next computer. I will mostly use it as a desktop, but I would like to be able to use it as a portable as well.

My main consern though, is that it underclocks when the battery is removed. I prefer to run without battery because of two reasons:

1. The battery will last longer if stored in a cool environment at about 45% charge.
    2. There has been battery fires, and I have my computer in my bedroom, and I prefer to be on the safe side and store the battery somewhere else.

What I would like to know is if someone has been able to restore full speed with coolbook without the battery in place. My white macbook freezes randomly under load when I do that, but the MBP has a more powerful adaptor.

If you are using your macbook pro like this, or if you have tried and it works, please let me know.

/Erik

2. user1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there really no one else that is interested in this?

3. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

1 - The battery will last a long time if you keep it conditioned by actually using it and discharging it occasionally.

2 - I think you worry too much. TV's cause fire, Coffee makers cause fires, Just about anything you plug in has a potential to cause a fire. I haven't heard about any MBP batteries blowing up all over the place, I think your odds are good. :)

4. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

No, because we all know that using the battery will keep the battery in better condition. Also, if you want to be on the safer side, just like the guy above said, you would have to remove anything electrical from your room. Plus, show me the latest post or report on a MacBook (Pro) battery fire (or at least the unibody ones). I really challenge you.

5. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I dont think apple allow it on ANY computer, the power usage of the Macbook Pros under CPU load only isn't that much greater than the Macbooks (5W at most).

1. Whats the point in having a battery out of a laptop? Yes it might last longer but then you've basically got a desktop.

I do wonder why people do this, like some people unplug there laptops during the night. I keep my MBP plugged in and after 6 months its still at 99%, it started at 99%, its been at 99% for the entire duration.

2. Battery fires are rare. Probably more likely to be killed by your pants or something.

It could *probably* run CPU load only with the 85W adapter, but even with the battery in and using 100% CPU it is BAKING hot.

Put it back in and leave it. It was DESIGNED to be plugged in for most of the time!

Edit 2: I tried loading the GPU and CPU to max and the battery level didn't decrease, but I wasn't sure on the GPU load as the temps only increased by 4C :/