uMBP charger, will firewire adaptor work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Draythor, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

I'll shortly be getting an All-American uMBP. When I bring it back across the pond I face a problem:

We Brits, in our infinite wisdom have developed the most clunky of plugs. and they do not play nicely with US connectors.

I have an old school iPod charger (Firewire) with a Brit power adaptor in it. As these side out so nicely I was wondering whether the adaptor was compatible with the uMBP charger?

Anyone have any insight on this?

Much appreciated.

Will

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I think you misunderstood. I believe the OP is asking about the detachable part not charging his "MBP via Firewire from an iPod charger, that uses FW". That is definitely impossible.

It should should be possible. From a quick look on google it seems identical to the ones for Macbooks. So you can swap out that part and stick it into the MacBook's charger to use it in the U.K. All that little thing does is that it coverts from whatever jack that is used in the country to Apple's connector so if it fits you are good.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Apple's power bricks have duckheads that slide off (to change to another country's power type, or attach an extention cord).

[​IMG]

Your old iPod charger duckhead should just snap on to the power brick from the U.S.

5. Draythor thread starter macrumors 6502

Draythor

No, sorry. A failure in my ability to convey rather than yours to comprehend.

I have a firewire iPod charger that is more or less kicking around my house. (It only being capable of charging a couple of the more ancient iPods my humble abode)

I was planning on swapping the UK adaptor in it into the MacBook Pro charger. If this is at all possible.

I had a quick fuzzle through ebay and amazon, but my searches only yielded multi adaptor travel packs. These were of little use to me as I wasn't planning on visiting any other countries in the near future.

So thanks for the ebay link.

Ideally I would like to use my currently unemployed adaptor. Is this possible?

EDIT: Thanks to all who replied while I was composing a response. :)