UMBP click+beep fixed, question mark folder at startup. hard disk won't work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barbarossabarba, Aug 26, 2009.

1. barbarossabarba macrumors newbie

hi everybody.
    i just got my new UMBP 20 days ago. it worked potently despite the annoying click+beep issue concerning the 500G 7200rpm drive.
    i immediately installed the new firmware when released few days ago from apple. it said to have been worked successfully and it seemed to me not to have caused any collaeral effects.
    then two days ago i had to render a heavy work in color so i left the machine working during the night. at morning the display won't give me any sign whatsoever, so i had to turn it off and re-boot it. but guess what: the os was gone. instead of the apple i get the flashing question mark folder that i have had already encountered in the past when my first powerbook internal disk died after four years.
    i am out of town so i don't have the install disks with me. anyway this morning i borrowed one from a friend but it won't launch it at startup. i also tried booting the computer from an external volume with leopard on it. in that case the machine worked rightly but when i tried to install the os from disk it just gave me a blank screen with nothing going on.
    i am convincing myself that the hd is pretty gone - fortunately i succeded in back up it into an external one - even though i still have to run the hardware test which i won't be able to do until tomorrow when i will return home.
    i hope nobody to share a similar experience with me, but i would like to hear your opinion about it.

thanks,
    francesco

2. barbarossabarba thread starter macrumors newbie

anybody? i can remember many complaining about the click+beep in the past months_did the fix work just fine for everybody but me?