UMBP, closed+bluetooth+battery sleeps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cube, May 6, 2010.

1. cube macrumors G5

When running my 2008 UMBP on battery power, if I close the lid, it might wake up with the bluetooth mouse, but it immediately falls back to sleep. Even when the battery is full.

2. cube thread starter macrumors G5

So it seems that if you run on battery power, closing the lid prevents the computer from staying awake.

What I simply want is to run the computer on battery power at the external monitor resolution, I don't care if the built-in display is open, closed, on or off.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Download caffeine or InsomniaX, because clamshell mode(external display with closed lid) is only meant to work when battery powered.

4. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Defining a fake built-in resolution equal to that of the external monitor with SwitchResX allows mirroring at the bigger resolution (the built-in goes black, but I think the backlight is still on).

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Well I think you have it backwards but....ok :D

6. cube thread starter macrumors G5

This is better: close MBP so that it goes to sleep, plug USB device so that it wakes up, open lid and built-in screen stays switched off.

I still haven't tried this sequence on batteries.

7. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

Why don't you just turn disable mirror displays, set the correct resolution on external monitor, and then drag the menubar icon (in displays manager) to the external monitor to make it primary?

8. cube thread starter macrumors G5

That doesn't transfer the windows from the built-in to the external, and is a drag to do every time.

That also leaves the built-in switched on.

9. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

This is true, was just trying to offer a solution that worked on battery.

10. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Well, on batteries it doesn't work: the screen initially stays off, but it switches on a minute later.

It's OK if the computer is unplugged with the built-in screen already open and off.