UMBP easily scratched screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajohnson253, Feb 27, 2010.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I was just curious to know if the UMBP's screen is easily scratched or pretty resistant?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It's as resistant as glass, that is it's better then plastic in that department

3. ingallsra macrumors newbie

I've had my MBP for almost two months, and have not gotten a single scratch on the screen (even through frequent cleanings). I'm careful with it, but I don't handle it with kid gloves. Actually, I'm impressed with the glass.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Mine hasn't scratched, and its pretty hard to smudge too :D

5. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

I never scratched my Glossy MacBook Pro, but it I tapped on the "glass" it sounded a lot like plastic. I would never show people it's scratch resistant with a key to it like I have on my iPhone.

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

It's more scratch resistant then a regular non glass screen, which I have never scratched before... what do you plan on doing with your laptop? When you are moving it you close it and when you are open and working on it it's not like the screen touches anything.

7. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I have yet to get a scratch, I mean it is a glass screen so if you find a way to scratch glass easily... Well then you shouldn't have a laptop. :rolleyes:

8. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

it doesnt scratch anymore than regular screen, and as said above it doesnt get smudges or finer prints as easily and it just in general seems better quality.

9. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I haven't scratched mine yet eaither. Don't know how I really could I am the only one that uses my laptop and I don't ever touch the screen unless I am cleaning it by steaming it up with my breathe and wiping it down with a clean microfiber cloth. That would probably URK me though if I did end up scratching it somehow.

Glad apple more pretty tough screens, or good quality should I say. Are these the same material used on the iPod and iPhones?

10. Mew2468 macrumors regular

I assume the material used in the screen of the iPod Touch and iPhone are more durable due to the fact that they are touch screens but this is a complete guess.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Microfiber is exactly the right thing to use. It is far better than any wood-based (paper) products.

12. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

What are you supposed to clean a glass screen with?

I'm used to using a microfiber cloth and the Kleer Screen cleaner because so far I've only had matte machines. :confused:

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

A damp terry towel with water, diluted vinegar, and most natural glass/plastic cleaners are fine. Microfiber towels can be nice in that they leave no fiber res, and they remove fingerprint oils easily. I use an automotive cleaner which is natural and ammonia free. I would avoid using ammonia given it has been shown to have some odd effects on some plastic and glass over time. I'd avoid any strong cleaner unless you have to. About 3-7 times a week, I take a terry towel and dampen it with water and a little of the cleaner, wipe the whole computer down, then polish the screen with a lint-free microfiber cloth.

I want to stress, however, that when I say DAMP, I mean using very, very little liquid. If you get any towel too wet, you can have the issue of water damaging the computer so you MUST be very, very sparing when using any sort of liquid to clean the MBP (or any electronics for that matter). The amount of liquid I use is best summed as: think of how much water it takes to make a cloth wet but incapable of being rung out and divide that by, oh, say ten.