UMBP Energy saver options - is this right?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mcmac17, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Mcmac17 macrumors member

I'd like to set my mpb (early 2009) to "higher performance" for the power adaptor and "better battery life" while on the battery. Can someone confirm if this is possible?

I can't seem to do this because when I change it on one power source it automatically changes it on the other power source. Is there something obvious I am missing - I have searched the forums in vain. (I have checked that I don't need any software updates).

Thanks for any help on this.
    Cheers.

2. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

In terms of things like clock performance, the operating system automatically scales it's performance when it's on battery or mains power.

The main purpose of the energy saver is to set up when your system automatically sleeps, shuts down, sleeps the display. etc.

3. TheVendor macrumors member

I don't believe you can do this, because it would have to log you out every time you switched power sources. Something you would probably be annoyed with very quickly.

If you're on battery power most of the time, I'd suggest leaving it on "Better battery life" and only switch it when you need to do something graphically intensive.

4. Mcmac17 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know it automatically scaled performance. How clever of it.
    I'll set it to battery then as suggested.

Cheers for the speedy replies :)

5. kolax macrumors G3

Better battery life uses the 9400M chip rather than the dedicated 9600GT GPU. So if you are after some decent gaming performance etc then just remember to switch to high performance.