Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
given the heat signature of most modern notebooks.

Er... some manufacturers *have* figured out how to build a machine that doesn't run quite so hot, despite using the same processors that Apple uses. I think the secret has to do with designing and building the enclosure to allow proper ventilation and cooling, rather to simply be as "OMG shiny!!11!" as possible... :rolleyes:

To all the folks who wanted Apple to see greater popularity: you got your wish. This is what happens when you go after the cheapest segments of the market.

bolen

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sweden
Er... some manufacturers *have* figured out how to build a machine that doesn't run quite so hot, despite using the same processors that Apple uses. I think the secret has to do with designing and building the enclosure to allow proper ventilation and cooling, rather to simply be as "OMG shiny!!11!" as possible... :rolleyes:

To all the folks who wanted Apple to see greater popularity: you got your wish. This is what happens when you go after the cheapest segments of the market.

My MBP is the most quiet and cool laptop, that I've ever had or seen. I can play i.e. WC3 without the fans spinning up to 100% (and the temp stays around 75-ish Cecilius). As an example my friend has a similar laptop (9600GT, 2,4GHz C2D, 4GB memory) and it's really really hot and the fans spins a lot faster then the MBP. And it's the same for many other laptops, my Dell D430 has a 1,33GHz Core2 Duo "ultra low voltage" and yet it both sounds more and is hotter then the Macbook Unibody with a 2,4GHz real Core2 Duo.

I would like to say that the Macbook are in fact quite well designed thermal wise, especially when you take into consideration that they're damn portable compare to the rest (the PC I was talking about above is .5" thicker compared to the MBP).

I think the main issue with the fans in the current unibody Macbook generation is that the fan speed seems to depend a lot more on GPU/chipset temperture then on only just CPU temperature. For example, try running the old terminal trick to stress the CPU (yes > /dev/null (one for each core)) and you will see that the CPU temperature rises quite fast and to high levels without the fans spinning up. If you do something that only strains the CPU, high temperatures with low fan speed will most likely occur.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
142F is fine. My MBP was up at 120C and it really gave me a burn. Apple replaced that.

Dont the intels die at like 110C and shutdown at like 105

My whitebook was once at 196F

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    647.9 KB · Views: 56
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.