UMBP: Graphics glitch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kgeier82, May 20, 2009.

1. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

while using the 9400, on either 10.5.6 or .7, Sometimes I will see some sort of glitch for a brief second.

It happens about 2x/hr, maybe a little more. The best I can describe it is its like a quick line flash across the screen. It flashes so fast, I dont know if it spans the entire screen horizontally, but it is ALWAYS horizontal.

?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

if you are close to an apple store i would suggest taking it to the to look at. since it happens pretty regularly you can prove it more easily. if not then try resetting PRAM and SMC. also try creating a new user and see if it happens under that account.

3. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just reset the PRAM/SMC, so lets give that some time to see what she does.

If that doesnt work, ill do a new user. If that doesnt work, ill try a reinstall

Somehow I dont think it does it on 10.5.5, id be willing to sit on that for a while.

I think its software related, but really have no idea at this time. An apple store could look at it, but again, I just cant guarantee itll do it for them you know

4. moiety macrumors member

Run Apple Hardware Test from your Restore DVD, and sched an appt with the Genius Bar at your friendly local Apple Store for a potential mobo switcheroo! :)

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it could be a hardware problem. but he'll have to take it to the apple store if it is anyway. if he's right and it works problem free under 10.5.5 then it is definitely a software issue.

6. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just did it again after the SMC/PRAM reset. I am using an esata34 card, so I wonder if that would affect that. Im gonna unplug everything and see if its a hardware conflict of sorts.

argh

7. lloydh macrumors member

I have exactly the same problem on my UBMP under the 9400M, only I'd say the glitch is perhaps once every 1.5 to 2 hours.

I haven't bothered to pursue the problem because of the effort required to get an Apple employee to experience the glitch, and the small impact on my use of the machine.

Having said that, I may take it to an Apple Store over the summer when I don't need my MBP. Still the problem persists; how to demonstrate the glitch.

8. playalistic macrumors regular

I've had this problem too. The screen seems to blink off for a fraction of a second. I brought mine back to the westfield (London) apple store and the genius didn't even bother trying to reproduce it but took it in for a replacement logic board immediately.

I still haven't had it back yet so can't report on the fix at the moment but I will as soon as I get the call to pick it up. I would definitely bring it back for repair as it seems to be a known issue although not actually an admitted issue (on apple's behalf).