UMBP kind of slow at startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djvic87, Mar 31, 2009.

1. djvic87 macrumors regular

My UMBP is the 2.4 stock model. When I start up my computer, as soon as the desktop loads, and when I go to select the wireless router, it takes a couple of seconds to accept the wireless connection. Also the selection stays highlighted blue until it is set. Also, as soon as my UMBP starts, and open up firefox and start typing, it kind of lags when they keys are registered when pressed. Is this totally normal? Is everyone going through the same thing?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i would check your activites monitor to see what you have running at start-up. it sounds like your computer may be running out of RAM right at the start. how much RAM do you have in it? does switching the higher graphics card help at all?

3. RKpro macrumors 6502

Yeah. It takes a few seconds for it to finish booting after you see the dock. Especially with the stock 5400 rpm hard drive it may take a few seconds for everything to fully load. Can't you hear it clicking?

RAM upgrade and Higher performance graphics card won't help at all, you're machine is held back by the hard drive. If it bothers you you can solve/reduce this problem with:

Upgrade to a 7200 rpm disk for marginal improvements,

Or you can upgrade to an SSD and blow away load times. SSDs are still expensive, it may be worthwhile to wait a few months.(If you decide the SSD option do a lot of research before purchase, don't be tempted by cheap SSDs, there are a lot of cheap poor performing crap out there) The best ones at the moment are Intel X25 and OCZ Vertex.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im not sure about this. it can be all sorts of things slowing down his machine. when i use the faster graphics card it cuts off about 2-3 seconds loading the desktop after a log in.

but like you said it could be the HDD. the only problem i see with that is an initial log in shouldnt be slowed down by the HDD unless, like i said, he has something big that has added itself to the automatic start-up list.

5. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

ahh, I see. Thanks for the replies. By the way, is there a way for me to post a log of the activity monitor here? I don't understand much the way it works on a mac. Obviously, I just switched from PC to mac last march of 2008.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you have to take a screenshot (Command-Shift-3) and then you can post it up here.

7. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Here you go, wow you guys are awessome. I never knew about that short command lol

Attached Files:

8. The Confabulist macrumors newbie

The Internet never connects instantly. Even in my 2.66 umbp 4gb it takes a couple of seconds for the Internet to fully connect. Safari is faster than Firefox when first opened.

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that LOOKS normal do me a favor tho, sort the "real memory" in decending order and do you have iStat pro? if so bring that up and take a shot of your screen with that as well

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You need to add a screenshot with the system memory tab.

Firefox using 17 percent of your CPU seems like a lot. If you have something running with Flash, that's OK, but just having MacRumors open shouldn't suck up 17 percent of a new CPU.

Make sure Firefox is updated to the latest version.

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oh yea i didnt see that. it should be around 2-3%

EDIT: well that is Safari's usual browsing % i think Firefox is a little higher like 7ish

12. archangel37 macrumors member

I have basically the same computer. I upgraded my HD to a Western Digital Scorpio Black 320 GB/7200 RPM drive from Amazon.com. The boot time is definitely better and my programs load much more quickly upon startup.

Secondly, you can try resetting the PRAM, per Apple's instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

It involves restarting the laptop and holding the command + option + P + R keys before the grey screen comes on. You continue to hold this combo of keys until you hear the machine restart three times (when you hear the third "bong" you can let go). This has cut more than 20 seconds from my Mac Pro's boot time. Your milage may vary.

The best recommendation would be to upgrade the hard drive though - if you don't mind an occasional soft click, the Scorpio black is a great drive.

Good luck.

13. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Here you go, iStats

Attached Files:

14. RKpro macrumors 6502

I don't see anything wrong.

Also if you have a lot of files on your desktop, it would add to the boot time, as OSX generates a previews of your documents/pics for thumbnails. I remember I had like 50 PDFs on my desktop one time, and it took noticeably longer before it fully booted.

15. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok, thanks guys. I just wanted to see if everything was running normal and same as everyone else with the same model. I just got kind of confused because today a cousin of mine came with his 17 regular macbook pro and had the same specs as me such as 2.4ghz and 2GB of ram. I tested his mac with mines such as loading airport and instantly it goes in the router right away. compared to my UMBP, it takes 3 seconds longer. Well anyways, I guess its the nature of the new models. And maybe it is faster in many ways than my cousin's 17inch macbook pro. This is not a big isssue for me. I just wanted to figure out if everyone has the same comparison as me. Thanks everyone

16. archangel37 macrumors member

Well here are some things you can check.

Go to your System Preferences --> Network --> Advanced. Make sure Your wireless network is the First network your Macbook is attempting to connect to. If necessary, delete any other networks you don't routinely use. That's helped me and some of my friends when we've had some delay in connecting.

As I said, I have the same computer and mine connects to the Airport fairly quickly.

17. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

So you mean, lets say you turn on your macbook pro EVEN without the power cord connected. And when your desktop loads up, and click on airport, click your protected wireless router and enter your password, that it connects right away? The problem is that when I do that, the airport icon stays highlighted blue for 4 seconds. Unlike the 17inch early macbook pro that I tested, went through right away after I entered the password.

By the way, is there a deeper way that I can test my machine and post it up here instead of running activity monitor?

18. archangel37 macrumors member

Interesting. I have my MBPro set to automatically connect to my wireless network. So that when I load up my computer it just connects to my wireless network - I don't have to click on anything and/or enter my password. I tried restarting without the power adapter connected, and it loaded up very quickly and basically instantly connected to my wireless network.

You can try running TechTool Pro - but that likely won't find anything. You should be able to just have your computer connect to the wireless network automatically.

Your symptoms remind me of my old Macbook. My guess is that it has something to do with the startup items - a faster hard drive should help.

Do a few other things first, though. 1) Have activity monitor set to load upon startup. Click on the CPU tab and make it descending so that the highest CPU using program is at the top. Make sure that at the top you have "All Processes" instead of "My processes." Then restart the computer. When the computer loads up again, check Activity Monitor to see which processes are eating up the most CPU usage upon restart. Try clicking on the "Disk Activity" tab in the bottom to see if there is lots of HD activity going on. Report back.

2) Go to system profiler (you can find it by clicking on the Apple in the top left-hand corner - then about this mac - more info.) Then click on the Serial-ATA tab in the hardware section. Note down the model number of the drive and then google it - that will tell us what HD is in your drive.