UMBP lags with certain 1080p MKV's?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vader1990, Mar 24, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

I love my new UMBP. Its the 2.4GHz model. I have a bunch of 1080p MKV movies. Generally almost all of them seem to work just fine. BUT, I tried playing this one movie--Dark Knight--1080p MKV, and VLC kept jittering and running at a VERY low frame rate, and basically sucked. I tried with the 9600M GT on, and it still made no difference. I had ALL other apps closed. I even tried Quicktime Pro+Perian.

I have a MUCH weaker computer at home, with Haali Media Splitter, CoreAVC, and AC3Filters, and that same movie runs flawlessly in Media Player Classic. Is there such a substitute for the mac? OR is there another more light-weight or whatever player that can play it better?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!
    -Doug

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

VLC usually works pretty well, and i use Divx as well.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Try Plex. You're not going to get GPU decoding for MKVs under OS X.

Lag isn't dropped frames either.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yes plex is another good one. you gotta find the one that works for you.

5. chuckcalo macrumors regular

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's irrelevant to video playback. Video playback on OS X is usually brute force decoding on the CPU as it is. This is coming from the HD/h.264 platform hype back in 2005.

A much slower and even older Windows machine (yes even Linux) will trash a Mac in video playback with a somewhat recent GPU and support for it. Not to mention that Media Player Classic has been refined for low processor usage as well over all these years.

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

Thank you!! I've been looking for something like Plex, or was a while back and gave up. Just DL'd it, love the interface. Lots to learn about it but I love the interface for Hulu so far, much easier to sort thru than the site imo. :)

8. gothamm macrumors 6502a

what are the advantages of plex over vlc?

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The interface or backend? :confused:

10. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

11. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

plex is kinda hard to use...idk, its not as low profile as VLC. Any other player that is mad-easy to use, but still gets the job done?

thanks
    -Doug

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

How is plex hard to use?? Its so freaking easy to use. Actually I prefer it 100x more than the vlc/mplayer since you can use its interface with the apple remote to view all your movies.

Just click on watch my videos, add source, target it to one of your folders (I targeted it to my 1TB hdd full of bluray movies) and done.

Just pick up the apple remote control and sit back and your ready.

13. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

I actually think this is a VLC issue or possibly something with TDK. The same thing happens with the same film on my Quad Core(2.66GHz)/8800GTX Windows 7 machine. I had a 720 copy of TDK around December and it ran fine but I recently picked up a 13.64GB 1080p VC-1 rip and in all the IMAX scenes it stutters horribly. I now use Windows Media Player to play my MKVs. I downloaded some codec packages which allow WMP to play the files back. I don't know if there is something like that for Macintosh.

14. rabidadvisor macrumors newbie

You can try the latest build of MPlayer OSX Extended. Enable the multithreaded ffmpeg build in preferences and all 1080p mkvs become as smooth as butter. (That preference is for multi-core intel macs, btw)

Here's the download link:
    http://mplayerosx.sttz.ch/downloads/testing/MPlayer-OSX-Extended_rev9-test2.dmg

and the forum thread for the developer:
    http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=70005&page=8

One problem with the newest beta however is the scrubber graphic doesn't update as quickly or not at all but it still seeks.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm glad that someone else here uses MPlayer Extended. Might as well throw Movist in to the mix as well. I use it for its superb subtitle support.