uMBP Logo LCD Mod

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fbartram, Mar 9, 2010.

1. fbartram macrumors member

Hi,

I was browsing the webernets today and I came across this quite awesome - if not old - mod some guy has done to his blackbook:

Eddie Zarrick | Ready to try it yourself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is5GZNHPfo0&feature=player_embedded

I think when it was first done, the mod was featured on Engadget and some other techie sites.

What I'm wondering is, is there anyone on macrumors who has done this mod before? If so could you please write me up a guide? And if no-one has done it before, does anyone feel inclined to do it and write me up a user friendly way to do this.

I would be interested on doing this to a current unibody MBP, so it may be a little different to the original instructions.

So yeah; macrumors community, write me up a more user friendly guide on how to do this with a current unibody MBP.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why do you need a guide when the first link you provided is a guide :confused:

3. fbartram thread starter macrumors member

It is a guide for a Blackbook, Im not the best technical/electrical/whatever engineer, but i daresay it would be a bit different for a uMBP. The soldering would be different, there would be less space. And most of all, i would prefer someone more capable fiddled with the insides of their MBP before me. :)

4. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

You wont be able to open up the unibody macbook lcd/lid section without ruining that rubber seal that runs around the bezel.

My suggestion is to get someone on etsy to make u a transparent vinyl decal that matches the logo in specs exactly in the color you want. It would be way easier than opening it up...especially if you're not technically savvy

**edit nevermind i just saw the vid...yeah...uhm...you won't be able to open the lid without ruining the seal