UMBP Making Strange Noises!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bazzy, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

I have a June 2010 17" 2.66 i7 UMBP. This is going to sound really silly and I do not really know how to describe it correctly, but it has begun to make lots of strange "Tapping/Clicking" noises. It happens quite regularly when the notebook is stationary but increase whenever the notebook is moved.

I am familiar with the hard drive clicking noise but this is totally different - it kind of sounds like a small metal ball-bearing inside a small, thin glass sphere knocking or clicking against it's side or like tapping a small thin glass object with something like a thin metal rod.

I am sorry for the poor description but that is the best way I can describe it & know I must sound like a complete idiot but I am not very savvy to computer issues but I hope someone can identify what these noises are if if they mean that something bad is going on.

Many Thanks,

Bazzy!

2. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Bazzy,

there are several noises that the last few rounds of macbook pros make. A lot of them apple will not do anything about and tells us as customers we have to live with.

Where on the machine is the noise coming from?

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It could be a number of things, but since it'd still be under warranty and all i'd suggest taking it in to an Apple store and having them take a look at it.

Zeb is right, they very well may not do anything about it..but it's still worth it to bring it in to see if it's something serious. Also, I second his question. Where is the noise coming from?

4. preppy macrumors member

preppy

5. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi All,

Very many thanks for all your replies! The last poster was dead on correct the noise is exactly like that from the you tube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmpe...eature=related

At least a novice noob like me described it somewhat accurately! I was not going to post or say anything about it for fear that I was being paranoid or anal but it seems there are also quite a few others that these noises find really annoying!

Dealing with Apple can range from brilliantly outstanding to being excruciatingly frustrating but I will take it to them for attention as it under warranty & do not want to risk being told I have voided the warranty if I do anything myself. I will also refer them to the YouTube video which I shall put on USB stick so their people can see exactly what the noise/issue is.

You guys have been fantastic - seasons greetings to you all!

Bazzy!