uMBP+mobile me+timecapsule=0

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by petesonline, Jul 24, 2009.

1. petesonline macrumors newbie

okay I'm about to give up. I searched the net and the forums and I get 0.
    I'm trying the access my time capsule over the net using my mobile me account, it sounds simple but what am I doing wrong. My account id and password are set on my MBP and time capsule and nothing. I can access my time capsule when I'm hooked up to the router locally. I tried setting up my time capsule using all kids of setting from the net and here. I thought by using my mobile me account this was going to be a simple process. Any help is greatly appreciated. Is there a trick I need to know when using my mobile me account.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You do realize that Time Machine can't backup to the TC when not on your network, regardless of MobileMe, right?

3. petesonline thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry if I miss spoke. I just want to use my time capsule as an external drive accessible from anywhere I have an internet connection. I'm relatively new to mac so I don't want to mess with the settings too much and leave my computer or home access point unknowingly open to hackers. I thought that once you set the me account on the mac and time capsule I would be able to access the HD on the time capsule very easily. Am I missing something that a newbe would not know and is very simple for a veteran mac user?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Do you have back to my mac turned on in System Preferences->MobileMe->Back to My Mac

Is it giving you a green light? (Some networks dont allow Back to My Mac to function correctly)

6. petesonline thread starter macrumors newbie

yup have back to mac on and it's showing green

7. petesonline thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help. I found the issue. Its the router at work, it is not compatible with the mac system missing uPnP.