umbp palm wear

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illibball087, Sep 22, 2009.

1. illibball087 macrumors regular

i just got a new unibody macbook pro 13 inch and am wondering if anyone is having any issues with the palm rest area starting to show signs of wear

2. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

Hey, have had my original MBP since the day it came out, and it still looks absolutely perfect.

3. illibball087 thread starter macrumors regular

4. m0no macrumors regular

I use the Moshi Palmguard and really like it. It blends perfectly and is hardly noticeable.

5. illibball087 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a moshi palmguard but took it off bc it wouldn't work right with my incase hardshell

6. m0no macrumors regular

I also use the incase hardshell and it seems to work fine. I guess you could try something like the bodyguardz palmguard.

7. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Have you had this issue with a previous laptop?

Everyone's body chemistry is different, and also what you come into contact with on a daily business with your hands and palms.

Cleaning chemicals or suntan lotions and even skin lotions on your body and such can adversely react to the metals in the new UMBPs. Which in turn, could cause discoloration and wear.

For the palm areas(I hate to use them as, or call them, rests...) I use the Invisible Shield system. Works like a charm on the body also.

8. vant macrumors 65816

Metal is far more durable than plastic. I won't go as far as saying that the aluminum won't wear, but I can say that skin rubbing on metal will take a while to wear. Keep in mind that the aluminum used in macbooks are not normal. They are specifically designed to avoid discoloration.

Using stickers or pads to protect the palm rests is a bad idea. First, it might conflict with the rubber gasket that surrounds the top lid while closing. Second, it reduces the surface area that is available to the aluminum.