UMBP Permanent fingerprint?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kronie, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I found this discoloration on the lid just above the superdrive. I know it wasn't there when I first got the laptop. It looks just like a thumbsized fingerprint smudge but I cant get it to come off. I have tried some green cleaner and then denatured alcohol so far and its still there.

Any ideas on cleaning this?

[​IMG]

2. Benjic macrumors regular

It could be a blemish from heat, do you run it alot with the lid closed?

3. James Cole macrumors 6502

When used hard the computer heats up but on the left side facing forward... that picture looks like the right side... weird.

4. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Was going to suggest this as well. Maybe it's from another heat source nearby and not the MBP itself?

OP, do you always use it in the same spot, and if so, are there any heat sources closeby?

5. jagr200 macrumors member

That is on the right back corner of the screen right? If so it could be the electronics inside the screen heating up unevenly. I would take it in and get a new one. Potential fire hazard thats for sure because that is most definitely a heat issue.

6. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I thought about a heat issue but there is really nothing there I don't think. Unless there is something that runs up along the inside of the lid that got hot somehow. If would have to get very hot discolor the alum. like that.

The laptops been pretty much in the same place since day one. I run it opened. Its so new its been babied.

I hate to think about returning it for such a minor thing but it may drive me nuts knowing its there. Like a new tiny ding in your brand new car.

I really think its a thumbprint. Like grease or something. If you put my thumb up to it, its a perfect match. An outline of part of my thumb. although I dont know why I would have grabbed it there?

I'll call apple and see if there is anything that runs up inside the screen on the right.......

7. NickM macrumors 6502

That is a bit strange...that it won't come off.
    The only thing I can think of is maybe a combination of the two theories so far... a thumbprint caused by oil on your finger, and the heat from the computer... maybe it kinda baked it on there?
    You already said that you tried cleaning it off, so I don't really have anything to suggest.

It would bother me too, though...so you aren't the only one.

8. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I'm returning it. Whatever it is, its an imperfection that I don't think I cant live with. Not for a 3K laptop.

9. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Try a different solvent: try iKlean, then give water and dishwashing detergent a go, then I'd try acetone.

Common sense methods and care - don't get too carried away and let anything drip on the case.

10. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

11. macgrl09 macrumors newbie

Acetone! The stuff in nail polish remover? R U nuts? :eek: Well one thing is for sure. If you use acetone on the spot you will forget all about the spot you had before.

12. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

No, I am not nuts. Acetone is an excellent solvent and will not affect anodized aluminum. DO NOT use nail polish remover as it usually contains oils.

13. macgrl09 macrumors newbie

Sorry Apple Corps. I should not have questioned your sanity. I think the OP has the right idea of just returning the machine for a new one. I don't think you should have to use strong solvents to remove a thumb print from your laptop. Especially if you have used reasonable care with it.

14. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

For everyone's edification:

http://www.lorin.com/PDFs/Cleaning_&_Caring_For_Your_Anodized_Aluminum.pdf

Keep in mind - a simple cleaning (two minutes) might resolve the problem. Replacing the machine can sometimes get you one with dead pixels, noisy fans, high temps, whatever. Granted, you could swap it out again but more or different issues could surface.

All could possibly be avoided if the right solvent is the fix.

15. macgrl09 macrumors newbie

FYI. This what the UMBP Manual states: "Cleaning your MacBook Pro - When cleaning the outside of your MacBook Pro and its components, first shut down your MacBook Pro, unplug the power adapter, and remove the battery. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the computer’s exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish."

16. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

That's my fear. Before whatever this thing is, smudge or burn, this thing was perfect. I can replace it but I may get one with some other issue.

I thought about acetone but figured if the alcohol didn't work then nothing will. I'll give it a try and then its back to Apple if its still there.

I also need to find out if there is any wiring that runs along that corner of the inside lid. As it stands now I don't like to keep it plugged in unwatched for fear of it shorting out and catching fire. if there is a wire there that got hot, that's a perfect little heat circle......

17. johndoe588 macrumors regular

LOL....Yes, think carefully. I swapped and got a machine with a worse screen. Wish I had the old one back. I'd try the Magic Eraser. Gently.

John B.

18. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I called apple and they want the computer back. They recommended I send it back as there is no apple stores close to me. I think they want to check it to see if its shorting out. That would be BIG glitch.

I asked if they could bump me up to the faster processor. (worth a shot, you know?) After being on hold for five minutes they politely said no, BUT they took $200 off the price of the new one AND free overnight shipping.

THANKS APPLE!

......I just hope my new one is as nice. Minus the burn/stain.

19. johndoe588 macrumors regular

20. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Now we may never know about the "Mystery Stain" :rolleyes:

21. Colin20 macrumors regular

Almost looks like somebody took a lighter or open flame to it.