uMBP upgradable RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by farhat2tube, Jun 17, 2012.

1. farhat2tube macrumors newbie

I just ordered the mid2012 uMBP or 'classic' with 8GB RAM. is this enough for architectural renderings with artlantis, archicad, sketchup in blazing speed?

Anyhow, in the future, if i want to upgrade to 16GB Ram, is that possible? I heard the prev version could not.. Also, do i need to get a MAC ram? Or any brand for PCs could do? Whats the ram details?

Sorry, im new to macs.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 2011 and 2012 Macbook Pros can both take and use 16GB of ram. They take standard 1600MHz DDR3 laptop ram.

3. Rajpdx macrumors regular

It's an excellent machine. You'll be fine.

As for ram, yes it's very easy for you to upgrade to 16gb.

I recommend Crucial ram. Crucial is part of Micron who are one of the biggest ram manufacturers in the world. Just follow the webpage and you can select the correct ram.

Something else to consider for speed is to replace the Hard Drive with an SSD. Again, Crucial is a good bet, the Crucial M4 in 256 or 512gb sizes is quite cheap at the moment and will run at SATA III speed (blazing fast) in your machine. Shop around for that though as prices are volatile. The 512 has been as low as $400 recently.

An SSD will make your machine seem super super super fast. Also a good idea to invest in a back-up strategy too though, you should never rely on just the internal drive in any machine.

Both the ram and HDD can easily be replaced by a user. If you decide to do either of these, post back and someone will get you to some easy instructions.