Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
Sweet spot in the sense that is what most people set their resolution to; even if they had the option to use a higher resolution. There is another thread that asks the rMBP owners what resolution they use and 1440x900 was the most used by a large margin.

I would be one of those guys running in 1920x1200 just because I can and at least now you have the options of 3 different resolutions (or 4 if you want to hack) on a laptop which all remain pin sharp and not blurry (caveat native apps etc).

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I agree that it depends on your needs. If I look at the Pros of the regular MBP, I see the following which don't matter to me:

- enables you to to have an additional HDD in place of the CD
Has battery status light
Uses Mag Safe v2 (better IMO because wire fray is significantly reduced)
Has native Ethernet
Has native Firewire 800 port
Has in store option for Matt display
Has brighter screen

I don't know about the MAG Safe v2 part, but is there any reason that the connector that the rMBP has would expected to fray? I also read that the rMBP connector is easier to pull out. This is kind of important to me as I have 2 dogs and I'd rather if something happens where one gets caught on the cord, that it pulls out rather than take the system with it (this happened yesterday actually).

Also, I understand the concern about brighter screen, to some extent but my eyes can't handle too much brightness. I'm at about 60% on my rMBP right now and its perfect.

Aodhan

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
Another pro for the Retina I would think would be the cooling system, which is more sophisticated, and almost certainly more effective. That includes the vents cut into the lower case. Also the MBPR has an improved speaker system.

A possible pro for the MBP is it has the same video card, but only has to drive a 1440x900 display, rather than 2880x1800, and thus is more capable in graphics performance.

As a side note, I just love the 1440x900 resolution. Not too big, not too small. I might want a higher resolution if I was doing creative work, but I'm not. I use my MBP for surfing and gaming, and a little writing.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I would argue that the rMBP has more than slightly better thermal performance. This based on my own findings detailed in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15165938

10 degrees Celsius (18 F) is fairly substantial.

I don't really think that your 18 F is a accurate estimation of what it really is. I had both machines and that 18F is way off from what I was seeing. It was actually very, very close in my opinion. Depending on weather you have a SSD or not will also play a factor, a big one at that.

This is accurate in my opinion.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/12

prfrma

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Lighter than 13" uMBP

You might want to remove that one. The 13 is still lighter.

The actual figures for the 13 UMBP, 4.5lbs to 4.7lbs for the RMBP. Or a difference of 0.2lbs. The 13 is 24mm or 0.95 inch to 18mm or 0.71 inch in thickness or 25%.

The actual figures for the 15 UMBP are 5.6lbs to 4.7lbs or 0.9lbs less than a pound or around 19%.

Do you want a better quality display and a laptop that is 25% thinner and %20 lighter.

Or one with better upgrade ability, slightly heavier and slightly thicker with more ports and less problems right now.

Each are good but each person will have one which fit's their needs better. What is important to you? Listing the pro's and con's will not have any meaning to someone who needs something one gives over the other.

Some might not know what all the facts are, or how each are different. This is a good way of presenting the differences.

will change the OP with your info. Tyvm.

----------

Another pro for the Retina I would think would be the cooling system, which is more sophisticated, and almost certainly more effective. That includes the vents cut into the lower case. Also the MBPR has an improved speaker system.

A possible pro for the MBP is it has the same video card, but only has to drive a 1440x900 display, rather than 2880x1800, and thus is more capable in graphics performance.

As a side note, I just love the 1440x900 resolution. Not too big, not too small. I might want a higher resolution if I was doing creative work, but I'm not. I use my MBP for surfing and gaming, and a little writing.
The 650m in the rMBP is very different to the one in the
uMBP.

Evil Spoonman

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
California
I dunno dude, I grabbed machines with identical chips in them (i7-3615QM and GT 650M). Ran Prime95 and SmallluxGPU for an extended period of time. Made sure to balance the loads across GPU and CPU so that utilization was around 100% on CPU, and 90% on GPU. The rMBP settled 10 C cooler on both GPU and CPU than the uMBP.

I'd be super happy to see more data on this, refuting or otherwise. The video memory quantity was not playing a role. It is possible that 4GB vs 8GB of system memory was an issue. That said, 100%/90% is what it is, on both machines. Having an SSD or not doesn't make a difference in this test.

Anand's test was between 2011 MBP with SBN/Turks and 2012 rMBP with IVB/Kepler. That is a much different test than mine.

I don't really think that your 18 F is a accurate estimation of what it really is. I had both machines and that 18F is way off from what I was seeing. It was actually very, very close in my opinion. Depending on weather you have a SSD or not will also play a factor, a big one at that.

This is accurate in my opinion.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/12

prfrma

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2010
@VFC I'm focusing on the differences between the MBPs but thanks for the info.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
@VFC I'm focusing on the differences between the MBPs but thanks for the info.

I was just pointing out that in comparison to the other available retina devices the rMBP is not the highest quality display.

Just something else to consider. It's like comparing two audio amplifiers. One model has 100W of power with industry-leading unmeasurable distortion; the other has 200W with an average amount of distortion. The 100W amp may be the better choice.

Last edited:

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Con's
Software support (particularly Adobe CS) for retina display 1-3 months away.
Designed for an OS that won't be released for a few weeks.
Base price is expensive
iFixit gives it a 1 out of 10 for repairability meaning any faults or upgrades would mean a trip to an Apple store.
Thunderbolt hardware right now is limited.
You have to buy thunderbolt adapters for legacy functionality (Ethernet, Firewire)
Noticeable UI performance issues at "more space" settings in Lion
First gen product, not for late adopters.
Niche product - probably best suited to Audio, Motion Designers and developers
New mag safe socket incompatible with the last without $10 adapter.
Limited supply, 3-5 week shipping on some models.

I hope this is fair. If anyone wants to add pro's and con's, or contest the above, please go ahead

I won't comment about MBP because it's complete. I want to comment about retina cons

*Software support (particularly Adobe CS) for retina display 1-3 months away. (try to browse, those who have installed CS6 have no complains)

*Designed for an OS that won't be released for a few weeks. (is this really a con?)

*Base price is expensive (Nope, my early 08 MBP is more expensive compared with current price - don't start talking about the inflasion bla2)

iFixit gives it a 1 out of 10 for repairability meaning any faults or upgrades
would mean a trip to an Apple store. (let say...hmm.. you hope that you break the laptop? geez. and mostly techies guys that brave enough to open laptop..nerds like us lol. Most of the ordinary users can't or don't want to open their laptop)

Thunderbolt hardware right now is limited (facepalm)

You have to buy thunderbolt adapters for legacy functionality (Ethernet, Firewire) (if 30$ is expensive search ebay please.. or used items , this, I'll do you a favor : http://www.ebay.com.sg/sch/i.html?_...+to+lan&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313 )

Noticeable UI performance issues at "more space" settings in Lion
First gen product, not for late adopters. (not an issue, repaired in ML)

Niche product - probably best suited to Audio, Motion Designers and developers (all great products are niche products at the 1st time)

New mag safe socket incompatible with the last without $10 adapter.
Limited supply, 3-5 week shipping on some models. (facepalm again. Bring your own charger for your own laptop! Do you plan to use old charger while yo have a new one?)

Last edited by a moderator:

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I understand that the lowest tier Retina MBP comes standard with 1GB for the GPU, but to say that it's "512MB more than uMBP" isn't completely true. If you get the top tier MBP, it also comes standard with a 1GB GPU.

And as far as it being a niche product... I'm a motion designer and shooter/editor and I opted for the non-Retina. You estimate 1-3 months for Adobe to update CS to retina, but all they said at WWDC was "later this year" for ONLY Photoshop. As someone who uses After Effects, Premiere, and Illustrator more than Photoshop, that doesn't sound promising. Nor does it sound like the whole CS will be done in 1-3 months. I could be wrong, but for the time being, I'm happy with my choice to hold out on getting a Retina MBP for a revision or two.

prfrma

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2010
I too am a motion designer/video editor. I made the decision that being able to play 1080p video is more important than the software support delay in CS.

If your excuse for not wanting to view 1080p without downscaling is that you use external monitors, then there's no argument?

Ultimately, there are work arounds (hacks to force resolution) that leave you with more flexibility in how you set up your desktop when your forced to use the laptops display. So even in the very worst case scenario's it's a wash, and more often than not, an advantage the rMBP has over the uMBP.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
You missed the uMBP's IR port (handy for presentations, you can use Keynote with an Apple Remote) and sleep/power light. The latter I find very handy because it lights up when the laptop is powered on in clamshell mode.

Oh and one last thing: The Kensington lock port. I'm appalled they left that out on the rMBP considering the value of that laptop. I know most kensington locks are too thick (they would make it sit uneven because the actual lock is thicker than the laptop) but if there was a lock port I'm sure the vendors would come up with a thinner lock in no time.

And yes it is too heavy to bring to the can every time. I can see myself doing that with an 11" air but not with a 15" pro.

Last edited:

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Oh and one last thing: The Kensington lock port. I'm appalled they left that out on the rMBP considering the value of that laptop. I know most kensington locks are too thick (they would make it sit uneven because the actual lock is thicker than the laptop) but if there was a lock port I'm sure the vendors would come up with a thinner lock in no time.

I'm kind of appalled that people would depend on a lock that can be picked in 2 seconds for securing their laptop :)

I guess a false sense of security is better than no sense of security for some.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I think you have to add in the cost of AppleCare with the rMBP, which is a must given its design. I would pass on AC with the cMBP.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm kind of appalled that people would depend on a lock that can be picked in 2 seconds for securing their laptop :)

Agreed, the lock is all but useless and I for one don't miss it. A simple tug, cut of the cable is sufficient to remove this

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Agreed, the lock is all but useless and I for one don't miss it. A simple tug, cut of the cable is sufficient to remove this

Well cutting the cable is a bit too suspicious but based on the look of the lock and youtube videos, just inserting something in the end with a twist will open the lock. any paper that is thin and firm should work for this and I've mentioned on another thread that I've done similar with a piece of aluminum. To a casual observer, it'd look like you are unlocking the lock vs cutting the cable which my rouse suspicion.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005

It does help.. It's the same as with bike locks. They take the guy's laptop that doesn't have a lock. Thieves always go for the weakest link.

Of course the added security is minimal. But it's not meant to be left on the street with just the lock for security.

But leave your laptop in a busy library or school project room, and nobody will go near it to pick the lock, or yank the cable off by force. It's simply too conspicuous. Whereas with no lock at all they can just pick it up and walk off quietly as if they were the legitimate owner without causing any attention at all.

Oh and one more thing: Breaking the lock off by force will damage the laptop, diminishing its value and clearly demonstrating the illegitimate origin of the item.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
It does help.. It's the same as with bike locks. They take the guy's laptop that doesn't have a lock. Thieves always go for the weakest link.

Of course the added security is minimal. But it's not meant to be left on the street with just the lock for security.

But leave your laptop in a busy library or school project room, and nobody will go near it to pick the lock, or yank the cable off by force. It's simply too conspicuous. Whereas with no lock at all they can just pick it up and walk off quietly as if they were the legitimate owner without causing any attention at all.

I don't know why someone would leave their laptop though. You often have to leave your bike out but a smart person wouldn't leave their laptop. Again, picking the lock is easy and would look like just unlocking it to someone not paying attention. If someone is watching you and your laptop and you go to the bathroom, your laptop can be gone in 2 seconds. It is up to you but hey, I just wouldn't do it.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
rMBP 2012

Con's
Software support (particularly Adobe CS) for retina display 1-3 months away. No impact to most users
No optical drive bay. Not needed most of the time
Designed for an OS that won't be released for a few weeks. So, its only a few weeks would rather have the device now
Base price is expensive AGREE
iFixit gives it a 1 out of 10 for repairability meaning any faults or upgrades would mean a trip to an Apple store. When under warranty that is the case anyway. I agree that memory should not have been soldered. If they can make the SSD upgradable...they can do the same with memory.
Thunderbolt hardware right now is limited. You've got USB whose peripherials are cheaper
You have to buy thunderbolt adapters for legacy functionality (Ethernet, Firewire) You dont have to buy them. Firewire is dead. Use a USB ethernet dongle from Monoprice
Noticeable UI performance issues at "more space" settings in Lion Clarify?
First gen product, not for late adopters. Not for Faint of Heart!
Niche product - probably best suited to Audio, Motion Designers and developers Says Who?
New mag safe socket incompatible with the last without $10 adapter. Big deal, the new power adapters are better and Apple gave you a way to use your old one.
Limited supply, 3-5 week shipping on some models. Agree, very poor judgement on Apple's part but hardly a device "Con".

See my comments in Red

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I don't know why someone would leave their laptop though. You often have to leave your bike out but a smart person wouldn't leave their laptop. Again, picking the lock is easy and would look like just unlocking it to someone not paying attention. If someone is watching you and your laptop and you go to the bathroom, your laptop can be gone in 2 seconds. It is up to you but hey, I just wouldn't do it.

Some locks (the tubular-key ones) are easy to pick with the ballpoint pen trick, which is what the old Kryptonite locks became infamous for. But the later and more upmarket ones use Abloy locks and they're really hard to pick, definitely not doable in a matter of seconds. Of course you're going to buy an expensive lock with an expensive laptop.

True, I wouldn't normally leave my laptop unattended, but there's situations where you will have to leave it in a semi-secure place. Like working in a business somewhere and going to the canteen. Working in the library, stuff like that.

I've seen laptops stolen off desks during lunch breaks in my place of work (1000+ employees). Those were company ones so it wasn't such a big deal but I wouldn't want my rMBP stolen like that.

prfrma

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2010
See my comments in Red

Every new product has compromises, like someone else mentioned, what might not be a big deal to some, might be a major inconvenience to others.

Not having some of my previous accessories work, or needing to wait weeks for various BTO models can matter, and may push some to make one decision over the other.

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
U stands for unibody which seams to be the most common abbreviation for the none retina mbp. Should i change to cMBP?

The most common abbreviation is MBP, because Apple calls them MacBook Pros. They don't call them Unibody, Classic, Legacy, Old, Previous, or any other word that could lead to a different abbreviation. ;)

The problem is you get crazies who make up new ones, or misuse them. Someone was calling them uMBP referring to the "ultimate" configuration of the new rMBP. Honestly, I had to look to know exactly what you were referring to.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Some locks (the tubular-key ones) are easy to pick with the ballpoint pen trick, which is what the old Kryptonite locks became infamous for. But the later and more upmarket ones use Abloy locks and they're really hard to pick, definitely not doable in a matter of seconds. Of course you're going to buy an expensive lock with an expensive laptop.

True, I wouldn't normally leave my laptop unattended, but there's situations where you will have to leave it in a semi-secure place. Like working in a business somewhere and going to the canteen. Working in the library, stuff like that.

I've seen laptops stolen off desks during lunch breaks in my place of work (1000+ employees). Those were company ones so it wasn't such a big deal but I wouldn't want my rMBP stolen like that.

The youtube videos I saw were of kensington locks and they looked like the same ones in the pictures that people had on the MBPs. Now it may be a different lock and harder to pick but even a yank to damage laptop wouldn't deter someone who wanted the laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.