Umi Super 5.5", great looking budget phone

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mclld, Jun 8, 2016.

1. mclld macrumors 68000

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's WAY thicker in reality than the images give you an idea of. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of unboxings.

Since I signed up for info I've been getting spammed from about 14 different Chinese websites flogging stuff too...

3. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

4. MRU, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Email I got earlier ...

5. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502

They have literally stolen the Samsung Galaxy "S" logo for this phone. I sense a copyright dispute.

6. Savor Suspended

Savor

Looks like an awesome phone for the price basically taking cues from Huawei and Gionee which took cues from HTC. But remember, several Chinese companies esp phones considered white box can make it pretty on the outside and questionable on the inside. But it looks promising. Better value and looking than the Honor 5X. Many modern Androids have followed the HTC One M7-Huawei Mate7 design language. The real queston is will it last? I am all to familiar with Chinese copycats and poor local brand quality. Might be wiser to stick to a brand you will trust.

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

It does not get 4g in US from what I have read. Is that correct?

I also read screen touches are problematic.

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-the-...onee-Meizu-Oppo-ZTE-Alcatel-Coolpad-or-Lenovo

^ Interesting opinions on several Chinese OEMs. I agree with one poster and would rank it Huawei, Xiaomi, and Oppo in that order. OnePlus is part of the Oppo umbrella. The rest becomes harder to trust. Some people love certain BLU (Gionee) and ZTE phones, but still questionable quality. From my experience, Lenovo isn't that good. Might be Top 5 for its sheer size but I still wouldn't trust their quality completely. Meizu is pretty good but has been an iPhone copycat for years.

For design, I like Huawei or Oppo.
    For value, Xiaomi.
    For camera, Oppo.
    For battery life, Huawei or Lenovo.

Dark horse is ZTE. Don't trust Gionee and Alcatel all that much either. At least Vivo got a big break being featured in Captain America: Civil War.

9. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000