Umm.. why engrave?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by only, Nov 3, 2008.

1. only macrumors regular

There's something on the forums that makes me laugh every time I read it and it's when people throw out 'free engraving' as an incentive to buy an iPod from the Apple Store at a significantly higher price than one would pay at a regular big box retailer.

Granted, iPods occupy the higher, if not highest, tiers in available consumer media players available to the public and you'll pay top dollar for it wherever you purchase it relative to other brands. But in the end it's still a pretty utilitarian appliance, with a utilitarian function no matter how pretty you think it looks.

In my mind, an iPod doesn't really equate in the same way to jewelery, watches, other body adornments or mementos that you'd find proudly displayed in a case somewhere. Getting an iPod engraved almost seems as silly as getting a refrigerator, television or vacuum cleaner done. It looks tacky, ghetto and slightly hoodrich.

So why do people engrave their iPods when chances are it'll be covered up by a case anyways and a card and perhaps a nice bow would equally suffice if it were a gift? Is it an outlet for people's sense of self importance and shallowness? ty.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Every iPod I've seen on the online Apple Store (well, the Australian one, as that's where I live) has been the exact same price they've been in stores...

3. only thread starter macrumors regular

Hummm... so far it's the same in the US, but I think that changes as the year progresses. I remember the 1g IPT at big box retailers were a lot cheaper than at the Apple Store. And it seems to be the case in Canada right now, $30+ CAD more from Apple relative to a regular retailer.

4. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I agree, I think apple fixes the price.

5. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

In the UK, I've yet to see iPods being sold cheaper than at the Apple store (give or take a few pence). I don't think it looks tacky at all - and how is it like getting a television or vacuum cleaner done? You're unlikely to have two identical models of TVs in the same place and get them confused, and you're even less likely to lose your TV and get it back because your name was engraved on it.

6. only thread starter macrumors regular

They don't.

Well, in North America they typically are sold for less. And if you live with people that also happen to have the same model, make, colour iPods you can still distinguish them at the very least by content. And as far as misplacing it goes, it depends on the circumstances, if it was stolen outright you aren't going to get it back no matter what you engrave on it. In either case, be more careful. Engraving your ID on it is overkill and as fruity as penning your ID on the labels of all of your clothes.

So, no I'm still not convinced that 'ohhh engraving' is worth paying the higher premium when purchasing from Apple.

And yes it looks tacky.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The main reason to get engraving is to show that the iPod is yours in case it gets lost/stolen.

Lots of people have iPods, so it's an easy way of delineating whose is whose.

It discourages casual theft, like among "friends" at school, where everyone will see your iPod.

It also makes the iPod harder to sell, though, which some people may not appreciate.

8. only thread starter macrumors regular

Do many people permanently etch their contact info onto their purses, laptops, bikes and cellphones for the same reasons?

And from what I've seen, it's only a fraction of people that do engrave for a pragmatic purpose. Judging from what most people do get engraved I think Apple has successfully marketed to consumer vanity.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

No, but there are also many more than four different models of purse, laptop, bike, and cellphone. IPods are so interchangable and portable that they are much easier to lose, and more tempting to steal.

10. only thread starter macrumors regular

Yet all those things get stolen just as often, probably more.

And honestly, even if you do find yourself in a situation with people who own identical models you can still distinguish between them by content and whatever personalization they make in the OS. It isn't that hard, at least hard enough to make me want to pay the Apple Store more money for something I could get significantly cheaper.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm just explaining why people I know got theirs engraved. If you don't want to, you don't have to. All those other things cost money to get engraved; iPods are free. I imagine if you could get your purse/cellphone/bike personalized for free, more people would do that. And I disagree with you that those things get stolen more often.

12. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I think there are two issues here, which people seem to be confusing.

Firstly, the OP doesn't like the idea of engraving in general. That's his opinion, some agree, some disagree, whatever.

Secondly, the OP can't see the justification of paying additional money for engraving from the Apple store (i.e., an iPod being $275 at Best Buy and $300 at Apple, but people paying the extra $25 simply to get it engraved, for example).

13. JBazz macrumors 6502

Yes, they do.

You are not going to find an new, current generation iPod for $25 less at any store. In order to be an Apple retailer, you sign a contract to stick within their pricing. If they find you discounting their iPods $25, you wont be selling iPods anymore. Which is why you will see the freebies instead of money discounts. Frys offers non-Apple accessories for iPods instead of discounting the iPod. Apple offers engraving. I have seen others offer download cards for music.

14. only thread starter macrumors regular

You aren't doing a lot by replying to the thread title alone.

Thank you, seriously.

You seem to be the only one so far who read and correctly processed the OP regardless the opinion.

So why do people ask which retailers sell at the lowest price?

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch?mco=MTE2NTg

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&catid=25653

The latter is a sister company of Best Buy, and WalMart Canada has the same discounted price. They're even cheaper at Costco, and if I remember right US big box retailers typically follow suit after Christmas.

Some independents already have:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/new~family~ipod~dp~7661972.asp

umm yeah about that contract..

15. JBazz macrumors 6502

Because they dont know any better? First time I went looking to buy a mac, I did the same. Then the Apple respresentative at CompUSA told me about the price fixing.

You can on occasion find open box, returned or refurbished iPods at discounts (as I got a returned one at Best Buy). But you will not find current generation, new iPods for any significant discount. Just the way it is.

16. bananabar macrumors regular

If I asked Apple to engrave my ipod with some disgusting phrase littered with swear words, would they do it?

17. only thread starter macrumors regular

You're right in part about the contracts, many retailers cannot put iPods/Apple products on 'sale' the same way other media players and computer peripherals are. But 3rd party retailers do have some latitude in how they regularly price them and you can buy brand new, current generation iPods for $20-$40 less.

18. biikman macrumors regular

I agree, I think it's pointless to have it engraved as it will most likely be covered up anyway. Just my opinion, and others who differ that ok :)

I also can see why Apple promotes it. Once it is engraved, it is a guaranteed non return. (except for exchange/warranty).

19. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I got mine engraved with my very personal email adress ( myname @ myfullname dot be) so if I lose it or it gets stolen the finder can contact me easily.

20. only thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, I'm not crusading or anything to get people to stop getting their iPod's engraved. But, I do find the rationalizations and reasoning hilarious whenever I see it brought up and am baffled how so many people fall for such a gimmick if they have the alternative to buy one at a cheaper price.

21. Foxtrot Oscar macrumors member

People buy stuff because they want too. It quite simple really. If they want something, but are willing to pi55 and whine about $20 - $30, then maybe they don't really want it that much and they need to adjust their priorities.

Engraving. It's a personal touch, that with the right words can add a real touch of class to a gift.

"Only you bore everyone so much, listen to this and keep quiet: there's a good chap"

Something like that.

22. only thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently I hit a little too close to home, huh?

23. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

no, i tried and they refused so i got it done at the engraving place at the mall

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I read your OP and tried to explain the reasoning people have for getting things engraved. As for the issue about cost, there are many people who buy from the Apple Store and DON'T get stuff engraved. In fact, I don't think free engraving is the primary reason people buy from the Apple Store. The real reason is service -- customers prefer to work with people they know and trust. Getting free engraving is just one of many perceived advantages. For a lot of people that trust and special treatment is worth it, even if they pay a little more.

Heck, if you're REALLY concerned about cost you shouldn't buy apple products to begin with. Get a cheap cell phone, a cheap no-name computer, and a Zune and you'll be all set, for MUCH less money!

25. JBazz macrumors 6502

That doesnt go on in the US.

But thanks for the link, I sent it to Apple and asked for a partial refund on my new iPod.