Umm...wow...Opera is fast!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daneoni, Jun 20, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

So since the launch of FF3 everyone has been saying this browser is better, that browser is better. To get my own hands on experience i decided to try the major 3.

I just tried Opera and my my is it FAST!. I would say definitely faster that FF and even Safari. It just blazes.

The interface is kind of weird and will take some getting used to but its doable. I also love the RSS feature.

Overall im really liking this browser and we'll see how it goes

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Of course! I've been trying to tell everyone (you may have noticed...) that Opera is The Greatest Browser in the World. With the recent release of 9.5, it's that much better. Welcome to the world of enjoying the internet without pulling your hair out! :D

3. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

I've been an Opera user for years but was slightly disappointed with the Mac version and the recent 9.5 update. It's still my browser of choice and it's flexibility, security and sheer speed are a joy.

But OS X's lack of MDI really handicaps it for me. I used to love being able to minimise and manipulate individual tabs. I've since had to open everything in a new window and use CMD & ` to cycle through them.

Also- any Opera users finding that on this forum and others you get stuck in a cycle of signing in sometimes? I log in, it confirms my details and gives the message "You Will Automatically Be Forwarded or Click Here If You Do Not Want To Wait" and it goes back to the log-in screen again? :confused:

This is with manual sign-in and with Wand. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

Anyways, enough of my whining! Glad you're enjoying Opera! It's a great browser. Here's some links to help get the most out of it:

Opera Skins: http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/
    My personal favourite: http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=3106

Opera for Mac support forum: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=4

General Tips: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=4 (definitely learn about Speed Dial, Links and Mouse Gestures- those are essential)

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I will say, as much as I love Opera, that I am more disappointed with the Mac version. I still enjoy using it more than Safari or Firefox, but the Windows version is what ahead of the Mac OS X version. I kind of wish they'd make it more up-to-par so I'd have more bragging rights here on the Mac side (and of course, a more enjoyable browsing experience).

5. meagain macrumors 68030

I just found this thread and downloaded Opera. Very interesting. Many features that I could sure use (thumbnail images of pages when hoovering over tab, and 'speed dial').

It's throwing me a bit that the address bar is UNDER the tabs and I'd prefer otherwise. Also the bookmarks toolbar (personal) adds up to create a large header but I guess 'speed dial' could take the place of that? Still playing but this is really interesting. Might be a keeper. If I can shrink the header down a bit.

Thanks for this thread.

6. G-Com macrumors regular

I don't see the big deal with Opera. It's fast, but it's my experience that Firefox is just as fast. I've done tests on various websites cold and I can't tell the difference. It's all about personal preference. I just don't care for Opera's design whatsoever.

Firefox has a large library of add-ons and I've rarely come across a page which doesn't display properly in it. I prefer Firefox.

7. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

8. Adrian3300 macrumors member

I prefer Safari for its integration with with the OS

9. iTronz macrumors member

I've found Safari to be faster than Firefox 3 on my systems, I've never really liked Operas interface.

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The terrible UI is the only reason I can't use Opera.

11. meagain macrumors 68030

How is it different than FF or Safari really except address bar being below the tabs?

I have tons of tabs and windows open at once and being able to see a thumbnail page for the tabs when the title would be illedgeable is a treat to me. No one finds that valuable?

12. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I think the new Firefox is a bit heavy, compared to Safari anyway.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is way to change the layout of opera tabs, if someone need it.

Some mac people are focusing too much on the "mac-ness" of the looks, there is not much opera,, or firefox can do about it. They will argue a curve or a shape of smallest item being "non-mac".....so, why bother :D

Tab preview is nice indeed. But im not sure everybody would find it essential.

14. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Same here. Not to mention it's got a good UI...

Now Safari for Windows is a different story....

15. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Couldn't agree more, sir.

16. meagain macrumors 68030

I played around with skins today and it makes such a difference. I was really able to customize it nicely. So easy to load skins.

17. geek-inthe-pink macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

How?? I really really would LIKE TO KNOW... Anyone??:confused:

(trying to get the tabs in Opera below the address bar.)

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://nontroppo.org/-/media/mainbar.htm
    opera #1 fan's instruction.

Attached Files:

19. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

This is how I have mine set up: [​IMG]

20. meagain macrumors 68030

If I recall, all I did was hold the shift key down and drag that main bar down to get the tabs below the address bar.

Question - Is there any way to widen the google bar? Mine is like 1" wide and my address bar is across the whole screen. I can't figure out a way to tweak the widths on these 2.

21. geek-inthe-pink macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

Thanks. I am not a plugins/addons/extensions person, but I find three things I need the above to do on my default browser: Address-Bar keyword search (like 'g apples' would google apples), Adblocking, and Saved-Sessions.

So far Safari and SafariAdblock, FrogetMenot, and Sogudi have done it. I just found out Opera does all this out of the box, and I LOVE speed dial! It is now my default browser. Thanks! The only thing I miss is my inline spell-checking.

WTG Opera Team...

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

url bar search is a common function in most browsers now.

opera's adblocking isn't ideal or flexible. but better than nothing.

save session now is a common function in many browsers too.

opera also offers out of box mice gesture. be sure to try out. (right click and move mice)

opera's magic wand also remembers passwords for websites that normally disallow it. such as yahoo mail. very nice indeed.

23. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

I've always liked ad-blocking in opera, much more involved than the ff and safari ad-blocking. maybe I'm just a control freak tho?

But that doesn't really matter, I block most ad websites on my router so I don't have to deal with that so ad blocking has never really been a problem for me.

Good to see mac users getting into opera =)

24. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks for the reminder.

Today I tried Opera again, and it builds web pages definitely faster than Safari.

I used Opera a lot when I was a Windows user, and went to the Search field with the shortcut CTRL + K. Now I thought it would be CMD + K, like with FF, but that is for the keychain.

I couldn't fnd anything on the Opera page regarding this.

So does anyone know ho to get to the Search field with a simple keyboard shortcut?

And how can I use the Mac OS X spell engine in Opera?

25. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Download firefox 3.1 beta and turn on the new javascript engine. Then tell me which is faster :)